Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Luna

I walked towards the doors, willing my nerves to settle as I walked into the room. King Brendan was sitting at a table, goblet on hand. He looked to me with those hungry eyes of his, like I was a steak on a platter. Radha was sitting at the opposite end of the table, one of her strategic half-smiles on her face. She looked to me, her violet eyes locking on me as I placed the food down in front of her. Her black, slick hair was pulled back with one of her sliver, black-gem encrusted headbands. Her lips were coated in a dark-red colour as she smiled. Her dress was black and went way past her feet, making it drag behind her.

King Brendan still had his eyes on me, "Oh Radha," he said, "you are so lucky to have such a beautiful assistant." I walked over to him, not meeting his eyes as I set his food down in front of him. I felt his hand brush against my thigh and I choked back the bile rising in my throat at his touch. He continued speaking as if I wasn't there, "Her pale skin, blue eyes and black hair make up something from a dream."

Radha smiled politely, gently patting the seat next to her for me to sit down. I nodded and sat down next to her, relieved to be away from the king. His hungry gaze followed me wherever I went, bt at least now he couldn't touch me. Radha gave a laugh, it sounded forced to me, but to Brendan it would've sounded sincere, "Most of the Black Magi have these looks. Black hair is one of the most common features in our race. Pale skin is from our traditions and her blue eyes, well they are beautiful but that is something she and her brother share."

I tensed at the mentioning of my brother, the traitor who left me with those monsters of our parents. He ruined everything for us. He was our saviour, our only hope for our master to rule and he ruined it.

Brendan shoved a piece of fruit into that ide mouth of his, "Her brother, the traitor right?"

I swallowed.

Radha nodded, "Luna, why don't you tell Brendan about your brother?" she must be mad at me. She knew how much I hated talking about him.

I struggled to force the words out of my mouth, "His name was Shane. He was the chosen one, the one with more power than the rest of us. But her couldn't handle the greatness of our master, so he left in fear, like a coward." My vision went blurry, I was about to cry.
Radha nodded, pleased with my answer, "Luna, go and get me a drink. When you get back, me and Brendan will discuss battle tactics for the upcoming war."

"Yes." I said quietly before walking as fast as I could out of the room. As soon ass I shut the doors behind me, I felt warm tears trickle down my cheeks. It wasn't the fact that he was a traitor that made me cry, it was that he left me. Not just once, but twice. Once when he was thirteen, and then he left me forever, years ago. He died.

Bridgette

Once again, we all stood in the throne room. Arora, the woman who represented all the elementals was looking slightly panicked. I couldn't blame her, we were at war now and we had no idea who we were up against. The crests on the guards' armour meant that King Brendan was the leader of the war, but no mortal man could ever set off an explosion like the civilians explained.

Titania walked cleared her throat as she sat on her throne. Alex was looking confused and ever so slightly dumb – not that I didn't expect it, this wasn't his war, or his kingdom. Add that to the fact that he probably hasn't seen his friends since they left, he had every right to be losing his mind. It was a fricken miracle he stayed if you asked me.

Titania looked to me and I knew what she was thinking before she said it, "We're at war. Not just with King Brendan, but with the Black Magi."

Murmurs sounded from all around the room. I turned to whisper something to Melanie, but bit my lip when I remembered that she was taken along with a bunch of civilians.