23. That Ol' Cliché: The Finale Part 2/2

• Dedicated to You!

                                           There’s a Jock in my Bed!

                    Chapter 23: That Ol’ Cliché: The Grand Finale Part 2/2

                      Song of the Chapter: I Love You by Celine Dion (1996)

“Hey Alex.” His smile stretched from cheek bone to cheek bone, widening with every step I took forward, exposing the pearly teeth that sat inside his mouth. His forehead glistened with sweat from the game and dirt from the slightly muddy grass covered his clothing.

“What can I say?” he said with a little chuckle, overjoyed and practically bubbling with happiness. He took his hands that were stationed at his sides and placed it on either side of my cheeks. With glittering eyes he moved in slowly. Puckered lips and closed eyes grew nearer and nearer to me before I called out his name.

“You’re ruining the mood.” He chuckled, eyes still tightly shut.

“No, actually you’re creating one that’s not there.”

His eyes opened slowly, the smile visibly fleeing from his now worried features. “W-what?”

“I’m sorry Alex.”

Things got deathly quiet and for the first time an awkward silence surrounded us in a tight blanket with the realization that one of us was about to be heartbroken.

“So you’re not choosing me?”

“Alex.”

He shook his head slightly. “No, it’s alright. You can go.” He coldly muttered through clenched teeth. His words said one thing but his dark eyes that were bright on my arrival betray them.

“Alex. I’m sorry.”

“Stop saying that!” He yelled but quickly retracted the anger back once he saw how startled I got. Cursing under his breath he quickly muttered an apology.

“I just…didn’t want this to happen.” He whispered with his head bowed.

“There will be others.”

“I don’t want others.” he said and lifted his head to look into my eyes – his now were full of water and on the brink of an overflow. But like the man he was trying so hard to be, he kept them locked inside.

“I want you.” He choked out.

“I’m sorry Alex.”

“Fuck.” He cussed again. “You said it again. Stop that.”

I hesitated to speak again because the only words I could even think to mutter were the two that he didn’t want me to.

“I guess this is it?”

I nodded slowly and with a lump in my throat that signified the enormous guilt I felt in my chest. “Alex. Don’t change.”

His eyes narrowed as to ask me a silent question.

“You changed. Too quickly, too swiftly. Sure, you were a dick and I have a hand in this but don’t change for love. You’re better than that.”

“I don’t think I am. Jacob always gets what he wants and once again he’s batman and I’m the Robin. He’s superior I’m left feeling inadequate. I’ll always be in his shadow.”

Suddenly, a wave of awareness rushed over me. “Alex. You’re only doing this to outdo Jacob?”

“No. I love you. I really do.”