20. It Will Rain

There’s a Jock in My Bed!

                                                                Chapter 20: It Will Rain

                                          Song of the Chapter: Courage by Sarah Polley

Please ‘Like’ if you liked the end :)

You Know the drill, editing as I read along.

Time moved incredibly slowly. The doctors and nurses in white looked like hallucinations. My eyes were blurred and I couldn’t think about anything else other than my dad. The flat line of the machine my dad was hooked up to was still ringing heavily in my ears, minutes after it had actually stopped.

“Evan?” Allen’s voice broke me out of my trance. My head slowly turned to face him. We were standing outside of the door where the nurses and doctors were working very hard to try and revive dad. He had tears in his eyes as well but tried to keep strong.

“Evan, you’re okay, we’re okay.” He breathed out a shaky breath. I didn’t respond, I couldn’t. No words would exit my lips. “Do you hear me Evan?” he hiccupped through his tears, “You’re okay.” Strangely, he was crying more than I was.

A doctor came out and bowed his head to us, “…….I’m sorry.” I covered my mouth with my hands and Allen sounded like he was about to throw up.

“Can I see him?” I asked, speaking for the first time since we were taken out of the room.

“Normally, I’d wait until your adult relative came but, you can go in.”

I stepped forward towards the door as the nurses and doctors started exiting, bowing their heads in respect. I looked back at Allen, “He was your dad too.”

He looked surprised but stepped forward, wiping away the tears from his face. I stepped in first but stopped at the door when I saw his lifeless figure lying on the bed. Allen was breathing heavily behind me. I could actually feel for him. He’s never had a real dad and when he meets his actual father…he dies. My pain was great, but at least I could say I had a dad for fourteen years, who I have built memories with, unlike him. I’d never want to be in his tight fitted shoes.

I finally moved forward and crept over to him. He looked like he was sleeping. A small smile was etched onto his stone face and he just looked…peaceful. I placed his hand in mine. It was still warm, still had a little bit of life in them and with a wave of depression Isighed.

“Dad…”

Nothing else would come out. I looked back at Allen. He was visibly shaking. I went over to him and engulfed him into a hug. He latched onto me tightly and began to ball. He wept on my shoulder.

The door flew open and Ev’s figure stood there with her eyes on Dad. “No, no, no, no Evan, no.!” she was hysteric and frantic. I grabbed her by the arm and hugged her with my other hand tightly secured around her waist.

I didn’t even notice that mom slid in. She sat by Dad and held his hand. Not a word. She was silent and her face was a blank slate. She rested her head on his stomach and lied there.

The Next day…

None of us could stay in the house. We all headed to different locations to deal with our problems. Mom went to visit her sister and Evelyn went to Kimmy’s house where I’m sure Chris and Bobby were. I insisted on them comforting her seeing that I was holding up a lot better than the others. I instead went to the park and sat on the bench, watching the people go by.