when feelings resurface || stiles stilinski

Stiles had never quite managed to get over you, even in the year you two had spent apart, he found every opportunity to speak to you or to just speak about you. He had broke it off right after the Nogitsune incident, terrified of hurting you if he ever went void again. He wouldn't have been able to forgive himself if he had hurt you, and he still couldn't forgive himself for breaking up with you in the first place. It was one year later, and you were obviously happier without him. You were in a relationship with Theo (just another reason for Stiles to despise that kid), you were smiling and laughing and, most of all, you were safe. He spent a whole lot of time attempting to convince himself that you were better off without him, but then he saw you again. And it was like he was looking at your face for the first time, awe in his eyes just like when he had first met you.

"Scott, Scott, Scott," Stiles pestered, dragging Scott behind the nearest tree and peeking casually out from behind the branches. Scott brushed stray leaves form his hair with annoyance, trying to get a glimpse at what - or rather, who - Stiles was staring with nervousness. His hand was shaking slightly as he gripped the tree trunk, his eyes growing wide.

"Look, it's- it's her, Scotty, it's Y/N!" A million different things ran through the boy's mind, but mostly, he was happy that you looked so peaceful, just laughing with your friends as if you weren't once a part of a lot of supernatural bullshit that Stiles himself had dragged you into.

"Stiles, I saw her last week, we talked for like an hour," Scott said casually while Stiles whipped around, looking betrayed.

"And you didn't tell me?" Stiles gasped, feeling extremely offended. Scott had seen his ex, who he clearly still had feelings for, and didn't even bother to say anything. "That's against the rules! It's in the guy rulebook!"

"What rulebook?" Scott asked, genuinely interested.

Stiles threw his hands in the air, looking exasperated. He unknowingly caught your attention from across the park. You pursed your lips, your palms growing sweaty just by looking at him. He was still so cute, like you remembered but a tiny bit better. You let out an almost silent laugh as you watched him flail his arms, a gesture that you had gotten used to.

"The Guyble, like the Bible. What the hell kind of guy are you?" Stiles huffed, running a hand through his hair. Scott was about to point out that you were staring at them, but Stiles interrupted, as usual.

"Whatever, it doesn't matter, let's just focus on slipping out of here unnoticed please." Scott rolled his eyes, grabbing Stiles by the shoulders and spinning him around, pointing to where you were hurriedly asking your friend to distract you from the boys. "Oh," Stiles murmured, biting his lip.

"Go over there," Scott encouraged, not bothering to listen to Stiles' protests as you raised your hand in a tentative wave. He gave Stiles a small push, and he stumbled forward, a hell of a lot closer to where you were trying to distract yourself from your ex-boyfriend by staring at your phone.

Stiles rolled his shoulders back, cracking his neck and walking toward you. Your best friend nudged you with her elbow, glancing up at Stiles with a dangerous look in her eye. Stiles winced, focusing on your kind face instead of her angry one.

"Um...h-hey," he greeted shyly, looking down at his toes. You stood up from your bench, holding your vengeful best friend back. "I-I was just...uh, I don't know what I was doing...I'm just gonna, like, leave or something."

"No, wait!" You blurted out, your best friend casting you an annoyed look. You sent her an apologetic smile before taking a step toward him. He was blushing, his hand rubbing the back of his neck as he looked up at you through his eyelashes. He had such pretty eyes, you had almost forgotten. "You-you don't have to go," you said, nearly reaching out to touch his hand. But then you remembered that you sort of had a boyfriend, and Stiles wasn't him.