The Queen

I paced back and forth in the small room, channelling my frustration as Kyla remained unconscious after the assassins attack. I felt Lexa's gaze following my steps but I paid it no attention, too wrapped up in my conflicting thoughts to voice my feelings.

'Clarke, this isn't doing anything to help Kyla. You should get some rest and I will have you informed the moment she wakes.'

I shook my head at the prospect, not willing to leave the room until I had spoken to Kyla. It was not only her recovery that had me on edge but the prospect of what Nia would now do in retaliation. She was not a fool and had most probably guessed by now that we knew of her spy; it was now very likely that she would carry out her threats against Kyla's family to disrupt any kind of deal that we held.

Lexa had wasted no time in sending out warriors to hopefully cut off the attack before any harm could be inflicted. I had made a promise to Kyla that I would keep her family safe and I did not want to have to deliver any bad news.

'I will rest once Kyla is awake and her family are safe,' I said, turning on my heel to pace back across the room. All we could do was wait for news but it seemed to be taking an eternity.

'I will go and see if my warriors have returned,' Lexa told me, sensing my impatience. As she rose to leave a small movement from the bed caught my eye and I redirected my steps to stand at Kyla's side, watching intently to see if she showed any signs of regaining consciousness.

A relived smile lifted my lips when her eyes fluttered open, confusion clouding the blue depths as she adjusted to her surroundings.

'Clarke, are you hurt?' she breathed softly, somewhat assured when I shook my head.

'You have a wound on your stomach but it should be healed soon, nothing to worry about,' I explained, receiving the faintest of nods before her breathing deepened and she slipped into a light slumber from the heavy dose of medication that had been given for the pain.

I drew away from the bed, some of the earlier tension receding now that I had spoken to Kyla. The door opened a moment later and I turned to see my mom enter, giving Lexa a small nod before approaching me.

'How is she?'

'Better, she came around for a few minutes,' I told her, receiving a positive smile in response; it was all good news so far.

'Any news on her family?' she inquired, looking over her shoulder to where Lexa stood by the far wall, having stayed once Kyla had shown signs of waking.

'Not yet, though we should be hearing back soon,' she added, aware of my growing concern regarding their wellbeing. I had made a promise to Kyla and it was one that I intended to keep, not that I currently had a lot of control of the situation.

The moment of peace was interrupted when several loud voices could be heard from the corridor. I turned and met Lexa's gaze for an instant before we all rushed out to see what the commotion was about.

The two warriors stood on guard were informing a furious Bellamy that he was not allowed access to this floor even as he attempted to get past them with brute force.

'Enough!' Lexa shouted, the three of us striding down the corridor towards the seething group who thankfully fell silent. 'What is this about?'

'Commander, your warriors have returned and there are casualties, they need medical attention,' Bellamy blurted before the Grounders could speak. My breath caught at the new information, had they got to them in time?

We all piled into the elevator and on the floor below we were met with a collection of bloodied warriors, each needing treatment for a variety of injuries though it was the two stretchers in the centre of the room which caught my attention.