The Right Time

Once again we set off, Octavia remaining near the back to serve Bellamy some words on his recent behaviour, though his tense posture and dismissive shrugs made it clear that he wasn't interested.

Deciding it was best to leave them to it, Lincoln was walking up front by me and Lexa. We were getting further south with each hour that passed and I was beginning to notice aspects of the forest that were slightly different regarding which plants were present.

We were delving further into panther territory now, and were all ready for more attacks which were certain to follow. I could only hope that at the end of this we finally learnt what was causing the panthers to move north and put a stop to it.

'What was it you wished to talk to me about earlier?' Lexa asked, jolting me out of my wandering thoughts. I felt a stir in my chest at how close I had come to revealing everything to Lexa only for the opportunity to be ruined.

'Oh that, it was nothing really' I replied dismissively, fully aware of Lincoln walking by my side and the other Grounders within earshot. This wasn't the time. Lexa nodded and thankfully made no more of it, everyone continuing in near silence as the hours passed.

That simple question left me wondering as we pushed further south, what would I have said precisely and how would it have been received? The whole thing left me feeling nervous and I attempted to turn my thoughts elsewhere.

'Did you see how thin the panthers were earlier?' I commented, remembering how prominently their ribs had protruded through their fur.

'I had noticed, it is unusual as there should be plenty of food for them in this area' Lexa replied, neither of us yet having an explanation for their state.

As I was pondering the possibilities, my senses jumped to high alert and my hand shot up in warning, the entire group coming to a stop at my back. Lexa glanced at me questioningly but said nothing, her gaze scanning our surroundings as I listened intently.

A few moments passed without any danger presenting itself and soon enough light footsteps came up behind me as Octavia and Bellamy approached.

'Clarke I don't think there's anything-' Bellamy began, only for the sharp crack of twigs to interrupt, all of us spinning to locate the culprit.

There was a collective feeling of relief when we saw that it was merely a wild boar that had strayed to close, eyeing us warily before scampering away in fear.

A single nod from the commander and the group were moving once more, though I lingered behind them and surveyed our surroundings once again. The feeling of unease had still not left and I had learnt to listen to my instincts, they were rarely misguided.

Noticing my absence, Bellamy turned to me and began to question what I was doing, only for his face to turn into one of surprise quickly followed by panic.

He unholstered his gun and called my name sharply in warning, and as the others turned to see what the commotion was about, I was acutely aware of the barely audible snap of branches behind me accompanied by a low snarl.

Everything seemed to switch to slow motion. I was aware of Bellamy desperately attempting to aim his gun, the others starting to move back and aid me but were too far away to be of any help.

With little time on my side I reached back for my sword and twisted to face the oncoming threat, simultaneously hearing the deafening bang that resulted from Bellamy pulling the trigger of his gun.

This was swiftly followed by a searing pain in my lower back and side which snapped everything back to reality, my arm instinctively leaving the weapon on my back to cradle my new injury.