Farewell

'Clarke' a soft voice spoke, attempting to rouse me from my sleep. It was only a faint whisper and at first I ignored it but the voice grew increasingly firm as it repeated my name.

'Clarke'

The voice remained insistent and pierced through my foggy mind to draw me back to reality.

'Clarke'

'Mhmmmm' I hummed quietly, cracking my eyes open slowly to find the world tipped on its side. I stared for a moment in confusion, wondering if I was still sleeping.

'I take it you slept well?' Lexa asked quietly, her voice sounding closer than I had been expecting. I lifted my eyes to see her amused smile not inches away as it dawned on me exactly what position I had fallen asleep in.

I quickly jerked upright, away from where my head had been previously resting on Lexa's shoulder, pulling my arm back from where it had been leisurely draped over her leg.

'I am so sorry' I apologized hastily, feeling heat blaze to life in my cheeks. 'I didn't even realize I had fallen asleep, you should've woken me.'

It was still fairly dark in the camp, and it didn't look like anyone from the Ark was awake yet. I just hoped it was dark enough to hide my flaming cheeks but the smirk on Lexa's face told me that was not the case.

'You were exhausted and needed the rest. I only woke you now as I thought you would want to be ready before your people rise' she explained.

I felt awful that she had stayed in the same position all night and hadn't slept at all. She always said that she didn't need much sleep and glancing over at her, I saw no visible signs of tiredness that would make you aware that she had yet to sleep.

I dropped my eyes when Lexa's gaze turned to me, fresh heat flooding to my face at having been caught staring. The small log gave me no opportunity to move away and I was increasingly aware of how half of our bodies were pressed tightly together.

As I desperately tried to hide my embarrassment, Lexa rose from the log in one graceful move, her sudden absence at my side being both a relief and a disappointment.

'I will go and prepare the warriors for our return trip' she told me as I also stood, wincing at the stiffness in my body.

She was gone before I could reply, striding noiselessly across camp to where the other Grounders were resting.

I watched her go for a second before I walked in the opposite direction to the camp perimeter. I started to pace it slowly, working the stiffness out of my legs.

I couldn't understand why I had reacted so strongly, if it had been anyone else I was almost certain that I wouldn't have been so flustered.

Pushing away these thoughts I continued to pace the boundary until I saw that most of the Grounders were atop their horses, ready to leave at a moments notice.

Faint streaks of light filled the sky and signaled the beginning of a new day. It was time for me to leave camp.

Right on cue the main doors at the front of the Ark opened and a small group of people appeared consisting mostly of council members from what I could see.

I moved away from the perimeter of the camp towards the front gate and stood a few meters in front of the other Grounders.

As I waited for the group to approach I felt my resolve falter at the thought of saying my goodbyes and possibly leaving this place forever. Lexa came up silently beside me, as if sensing my unrest, and I felt my confidence return.