Warning Signs

The world blurred into focus around me as my eyes slowly flickered open. I gazed around in confusion for a moment, unsure of where I was.

I jerked up right as the memory of what had happened came flooding back and I winced as pain blossomed in my left shoulder from the sudden movement.

'Woah, careful Clarke, don't move so fast' my mom cautioned, rushing over from where she had been stood on the far side of the room.

'The bullet to your shoulder didn't cause that much damage so I was able to stitch and bandage the wound without to much trouble but you lost a lot of blood, so you might be feeling quite weak for a while' she told me, gently pushing me back until I was resting against the pillows behind me.

'My head is killing me' I groaned, closing my eyes as the world swam sickeningly before me.

'I'm not surprised' my mom replied grimly, 'Lexa said that you kept blacking out, so you must've hit your head pretty hard on the way down'.

My eyes snapped open at the mention of the commanders name.

'Where is Lexa? Is she okay? Has she left?' I asked, the words tumbling from my mouth.

'Lexa's fine' my mom assured me, looking slightly surprised at the urgency in my voice. 'She's been staying here for the last few days....'

'A few days!? I've been out that long?' I asked in disbelief, a lot could happen in a few days. 'What have I missed? Has Lexa said anything?'

'Don't worry, you haven't missed a thing. As for Lexa, against my better judgement, she wants us to attend a council meeting as soon as you wake up' she admitted, her disapproval clear.

Marcus cleared his throat as he waited politely just outside the door.

'Abby, I'll go and tell the commander that you're on your way' he said quietly, waiting for my mom to nod in approval before walking down the corridor.

'If you're not ready Clarke...' she began hopefully.

'I have to be.' I interrupted, and seeing that I wouldn't be swayed she reluctantly moved to help me up.

'Lexa told us what happened out there' she told me, pulling me up and out of the bed.
I didn't reply but watched her out the corner of my eye, hoping that Raven was okay. I didn't know what her punishment would be, but whatever it was, I knew that it wouldn't be pleasant, especially if Lexa had anything to do with it. After all Raven had tried to kill her.

'Whatever you might think, it was an accident, no one was meant to get shot' I finally replied, only being partly honest. It was me who hadn't meant to get shot, Lexa on the other hand...

'An accident!?' she said in disbelief, 'Getting shot by one of the mountain men is no accident Clarke, we were going to send out soldiers to find him but with the danger of the reapers we couldn't afford to.'

I stared at her in silence, stunned at her words. I had definitely not been expecting Lexa to cover for Raven.

'You don't have to worry about that now' she continued, mistaking my shocked silence for pain. 'Let's just get you ready for this meeting.'

She then proceeded to remove my torn, blood stained shirt and replaced it with a clean fresh one. After cleaning off the last of the dirt and blood I looked just about presentable.

It had taken a while, but I was finally ready. My mom opened the door and I shuffled past her, using the wall to support me.

When we were stood in the corridor my mom turned to me in one last attempt to change my mind.