Chapter 24

With my head against the table, I simply stared at Zane's face. I sat there in silence for hours, just waiting for Zane to finally wake up. In that time, the boys have frequently come by to check up on me and chat a bit.

It seems while I've been in here, they've been explaining things to everyone else. I guess that's a good thing. I don't want to be bombarded with questions as soon as I leave the room.

Without a clock, I had no idea what time it was now. I assumed that it was really late by the tired feeling that took over me. My eyes grew weary and my eyelids drooped. But I didn't care.

I would patiently wait for Zane's eyes to finally open. The sudden sound of the door forced me to lift my head and turn to see who it was. It was Jeff.

"Jeff?"

Jeff's eyes were fixed on Zane as he casually came over. "Anything yet?"

I slowly shook my head and turned my gaze back to Zane. It grew quiet until I tiredly yawned.

"Maybe you should get some rest, Changeling," Jeff suddenly said to me.

"I don't need rest."

"Sure you don't," he replied in a sarcastic tone. "Then how about a snack, or maybe a drink?"

I sighed. "I don't really feel like eating."

"You must be really worried about him, huh?"

"Of course I am. He's one of my boys. If I ever lost one of them, I'd...I..."

I couldn't even finish my sentence. I felt my eyes beginning to water again. I quickly wiped my eyes, not wanting Jeff to see me cry. I then felt his hand on my shoulder.

"Don't worry so much, Changeling. Just give him some time, I'm sure he's going to be fine."

His hand left my shoulder and I heard him walking back over to the door. "I'm heading to bed. Just so you know, the others are sleeping on the couch."

I gave a faint nod, hearing the door open and close afterwards. I yawned again and rubbed my tired eyes. I laid my head back down on the table. I took one more look at Zane's face before letting my eyes finally shut.

Jeff's pov

The next morning, we all sat in the living room, waiting for breakfast to be ready. Joker and Ben were both playing games while Somber and Mute sat quietly and watched.

These three are quite the group. I suddenly saw a figure enter the room out of the corner of my eye. I turned my head, as did everyone else, to see Changeling.

Joker almost immediately jumped up and ran over to her, wrapping her in his arms and lifting her up off the floor.

"Changeling! You finally decided to join us!"

She struggled to get out of his grip. "Can't...breath...put me down...Joker!"

He finally set her back on her feet and released her. Somber then jumped into the conversation.

"Does this mean Wrath is...?"

Changeling turned her gaze to the floor and answered, "No. He still hasn't woken up."

She then looked up at all of us and gave a small smile. But I figured I should come out and enjoy some time with the rest of you."

"Breakfast is ready!" Slender called from the kitchen.

We all headed to the kitchen. On the way, I gave Changeling a pat on the shoulder.

"Glad to have you join us this morning."