Chapter 6

A/N: In the picture is Marlow.

I peered around the street corner at the building. This is it. The place where I can find out everything I need to know about those survivors. I waited and watched as a short man exited the building.

I studied his appearance until he got into a car and drove away. Once he was gone, I focused on his looks and gazed down at my hands before touching my face.

I could feel the short hair under my hat and the small mustache under my nose. I glanced down at my uniform, seeing my now rounded body under the tight fitting clothes.

I'm so glad I don't look like this all the time. I took a deep breath and approached the doors. Going inside, I immediately noticed a taller man who quickly looked at me in slight confusion.

"Bill? I thought you were going home?"

I gave him a friendly smile. "Oh, I am. I just forgot something. I'll only be a minute."

"Well, alright then," the man replied with a small smile.

I headed down the hall, passing a few cops as I searched for the room I was looking for. I soon found it and went inside, glancing around the room.

"Finally, the room where they keep their case files," I muttered to myself. "Now I just need to find the right one."

I read the labels on the file cabinets as I searched through them, finally stopping at one with cases from the last couple of months. I opened the drawer and started skimming through the cases. I eventually stopped at one that read 'The Grocery Store Slaughter'.

Geez, is that what they're calling it? How unoriginal. I opened the file to make sure it was the right one. First thing I saw was a blurred picture of a black creature in the aisle of a store. I grinned. Yep, this is definitely it.

I closed the folder and shut the drawer before leaving the room. Everything was quiet as I headed back down the hall. Once I reached the entrance, I noticed that same guy eyeing me suspiciously.

"Hey, Bill. What have you got there?"

"Just the file on that recent case. I figured I'd borrow it so I could look over the facts in case we missed something."

The man rose an eyebrow. "You mean the case of that kid's suicide? That seemed pretty straightforward to me. What more could there be to a case like that?"

"Things aren't always as they seem, my friend."

And with that, I turned and left the building, smirking as I did so. Once I was far enough away and I knew no one was around, I changed back to my original human form. I calmly walked down the streets until I arrived back home.

I went inside and sat myself on the couch, immediately opening the file and reading. The first page that had my blurry picture simply told about the mysterious creature and the store filled with corpses. I did, however, learn about the strange black substance that killed everyone. That was my blood.

Is my blood like poison or something? I flipped to the next page to see a picture of a red haired boy with blue eyes and piercings in his ears and a couple in his right eyebrow.

"Zane Rivers. Age: 20. Huh, he's just one year older than me."

I then read the short description about his survival that night and his time at the hospital. There were also pictures of his injury. On his arm, right below his shoulder, were large claw marks.

They oozed with red and black blood. I also noticed the faintest trace of dark skin right around the wound, as if his skin was beginning to darken like mine.

My eyes were wide with curiosity and confusion. There was a small paragraph below those pictures that I read aloud.

"Following the odd injury sustained in the attack, strange behavior and a small reoccurring change in appearance forced doctors to send the patient to the asylum. The patient will remain there unless a full recovery from the incident takes place."

I blinked a few times before going to the next page. There was a picture of a boy with short, brown hair and eyes with a small piercing in his right ear. He looked just like one of those popular jocks in high school.

"Paul Archer. Age: 20. Another 20 year old."

I skimmed over the description, which was basically the same as the first one. Looking at the pictures below, this boy had large teeth marks on his leg above his knee. Like the first boy, they oozed red and black blood with traces of dark skin beginning to form around them.

There was a small paragraph below the pictures that repeated the same thing. This boy was also sent to the asylum. Just what is going on here?

I quickly went to the next page to see a picture of a goth guy with black hair that was short on one side and longer on the other. He had dark brown eyes and pale skin.

"Jasper Cross. Age: 19. Same as me."

I skipped down to the pictures of his injuries to see the same type of large bite marks on his stomach. I then noticed the part below that about sending him to the asylum as well.

I quickly went to the last page, seeing a picture of a blonde boy with green eyes, freckles, and glasses.

"Oliver Reed. Age: 18. The youngest of the group."

His injuries showed claw marks on his arm right above his wrist and a few right above his ankle. Seems he was also sent to the asylum.

A loud sigh escaped my lips as I leaned forward on my elbows. What does this all mean? Why did these four boys survive when everyone else died? I closed my eyes to gather my thoughts.

What do these boys have in common? Definitely not looks or personalities, that's for sure. But they are all around my age. That's the only real similarity I can think of.

And then there's the wounds on their bodies. It seems like their blood and mine mixed together and then their skin was beginning to darken as if in reaction. Then they were put in the asylum for strange behavior and changes in appearance. But I don't understand. Why?

"Because those four are becoming like you. They are your followers."

My eyes snapped open at the sudden voice in my head. That voice. It's the same one that talked to me after I was killed. It's mine. Becoming like me? My followers?

I gasped and grinned, gazing down at my hands. "That's it. Those four miraculously survived my rampage and now their bodies are going through a transformation. They will be just like me."

I stood up from my seat with a slight frown. "Those poor things. They must be so scared and confused. My followers...no, my pack needs me. I can give them a home here, I can teach them everything about their powers. But first things first, I must free them."