Chapter 16

Masky's pov

"Well, still nothing too unusual."

Hoodie and I hid up in one of the trees and gazed out at the small mansion at the edge of the woods. We've been watching it for a couple of days now, but still haven't seen who lives there.

"Maybe they're shut-ins," Hoodie stated. "Maybe that's why we never see them."

"Or maybe they want to keep themselves hidden because they do have a connection with the Nightstalkers."

Hoodie shrugged and we continued staring out at the house. It seems like an ordinary place on the outside, but maybe a closer look will reveal something.

"Hoodie, maybe we should get a closer look."

He nodded and followed me as I jumped down from the tree and slowly approached the house. Under the cover of darkness, we snuck around, peering through windows and checking for unlocked doors.

Unfortunately, everything was locked up tight and breaking in wasn't an option since we're supposed to be sneaky. That's when I suddenly heard Hoodie quietly call for me.

"Masky! I think I found a way in!"

I turned to see him waving me over while pointing to a cellar. I went over and glanced at him before grabbing the handle and pulling the large, heavy door open. We were almost immediately met with a foul smell.

"Ugh, what is that smell?" I asked while trying to wave the stench away. "Did something die down there?"

I took a deep breath and slowly went down the small flight of stairs with Hoodie right behind me. My eyes widened and began to water at the overwhelming odor. I tried to ignore the smell as I looked around the dark room.

The room was large and mostly empty aside from the bones that littered the floor. There were stains of blood splattered on parts of the floor and the buzzing of flies was all that could be heard.

"I think we found where the Nightstalkers live," Hoodie quietly stated.

"This must mean something. Whoever lives here is definitely sheltering the Nightstalkers. But do they control them or something?"

"I don't know, but we should get out of here before they come back."

I nodded and we both quickly left and shut the door back before heading back into the woods. Before we left, I noticed Hoodie look back before grabbing my arm and pointing.

I turned and peered out from between the trees to see two Nightstalkers emerge, dragging the corpse of a man. We watched in silence as they went over to the cellar, one grabbing the handle and yanking the door open.

They then worked on dragging their catch down into the dark cellar, quickly disappearing from our sight. We decided to wait a little longer before heading home, hoping to see more Nightstalkers or any human residents of this place.

It didn't take much longer for us to catch sight of someone heading toward the small mansion from the nearby street. I couldn't tell what they looked like right away, at least until they passed under a street light.

My eyes widened when I recognized the brown haired girl. "Hoodie, that's the same girl that was in that group at Burger King."

He kept his voice low like mine and replied, "Yeah, I remember. They were the ones that were watching the videos on their computer."

"Funny that we'd see her again."

We watched the girl as she went up to the front door of the mansion and casually went inside. So she lives here? I knew there was something strange about her.