Chapter 17

As we made it back to the mall, Zane and I had taken our normal forms again. Entering the front doors, we immediately saw Paul, Jasper, and Oliver standing around near the benches. Going over to them, Jasper was the first to speak.

"Oh good, you're both okay. Those two masked boys were searching for you."

I smirked and said, "I know. You don't have to worry about them. We gave them the slip on the bus."

Paul suddenly started giggling as he looked between Zane and me. "Why are you guys holding hands?"

My eyes widened slightly. I hadn't even realized I was still holding Zane's hand. I felt my face heat up as I quickly pulled my hand away. I noticed Zane turn his red face away and cross his arms.

"What are you talking about?" Zane asked. "We were not holding hands."

Jasper smiled slightly. "That's not what it looked like to me."

I shook my head at them. "Come on, guys. This isn't the time for that. We need to head home in case those boys come back here."

They all nodded and followed me as I quickly left the mall and began heading home. On the way, I noticed a strange poster on the side of a building. I stopped and read it aloud.

"Join the Nighthunters. An organization created to hunt the Nightstalkers."

I frowned and grabbed the poster, ripping it off and tearing it in half. I felt Zane's hand on my shoulder.

"Do you think those weirdos we fought are behind this?"

I sighed. "I don't think so. But you never know."

"So what are we going to do?" Paul asked.

I thought for a minute before turning my head to look at the boys. "I don't know. But here's what I do know. If everyone is going to hunt us and treat us like monsters, then we're going to act like monsters. We're going on the attack. Everyone and everything that's going to oppose us is going to die."

I continued on my way without another word, hearing the other's footsteps behind me. We soon made it back home where I quickly went up to the old study that has stayed practically untouched.

I looked around the room with a small sigh before going over and sitting at the main desk. I leaned back in the chair and closed my eyes, countless memories flooding my mind. William Richmond, the man I hated. Who knew he would play such a big role in all of this.

After all, this used to be his place that we now live in. Thinking back on all the times he yelled at me or hit me caused anger to bubble up inside me. I'm really glad I was able to get rid of him. The day I killed him was when I finally felt free for the first time in my life.

The sudden sound of the door opening forced me to open my eyes to see the familiar redhead. "Zane? What are you doing?"

"I could ask you the same thing. What are you doing in here all alone?"

"Just thinking, that's all," I said while standing from my seat and heading toward the door.

I passed by Zane and reached for the doorknob when I suddenly felt his hands on my shoulders. I froze momentarily until Zane gently pushed me against the door. With him pressed up against me, I could feel his breath on my ear.

"Marlow."

He moved back slightly only to turn me around to face him before pressing my back against the door. He gazed down straight into my eyes as he moved closer.

"Marlow, I've been thinking about those kisses back on the bus. I was wondering if...now that we're ourselves and not a couple of teenagers...maybe we could...try it again?"