Chapter 19

Jack's pov

With a kit of medical supplies in hand, I went out the door with Jeff. Both Nightstalkers still sat in their spots, waiting for us. As we approached them, they both stood and nodded their heads out into the woods.

They walked over to the edge of the trees and stopped, looking back at us. Jeff and I quietly followed behind as they led us into the woods. Neither of us said anything.

I didn't really know what to say since the Nightstalkers can't talk back to us the way they can with Slender. After a few minutes of silence as we walked, Jeff finally let out a sigh.

"I wonder if we'll start having problems with these Nighthunters."

Somber and Mute both glanced back at him as they walked ahead of us. I looked over at Jeff.

"Maybe. If they're hunting the Nightstalkers then what's to stop them from hunting us too?"

"Tch, just let them try. I'll kill every last one of them."

I noticed Somber and Mute make a few quiet chitters to each other. They'd probably like it if we took care of those Nighthunters for them.

After a little more walking, we finally made it. Somber and Mute immediately rushed over to the larger beast that lay beside a tree. The two other smaller Nightstalkers both turned their attention to us, snarling slightly.

Then Changeling lifted her head to look at us, growling as she did so. Somber and Mute both chittered to the others, causing most of their threatening noises to cease, except for Changeling, who continued to growl as she seemed to glare at us.

I lifted my hands defensively and said, "It's okay. We're here to help. I'm Eyeless Jack. That's Jeff the Killer."

Changeling's growls were quickly replaced by panting as she laid her head back down. I carefully approached her, watching the smaller creatures back away, giving us space.

I noticed Changeling's golden eyes on me as I crouched beside her, examining the injuries on her body. The blood that poured from the wounds was black, more proof that these aren't normal creatures.

I stretched my hand out toward her, hearing her growl again. But she quickly stopped once I ran my hand over her smooth, black skin.

"There now. You see? I'm only here to help you."

I quickly pinpointed the worst injuries that needed to be treated first. Seeing the bear trap on her leg, I figured that was the best place to start.

I went down to her leg, glancing at Jeff. "Hey, Jeff, give me a hand here."

"Okay."

He quickly came over, grabbing one side of the trap while I grabbed the other. We slowly pulled it apart, prying it off Changeling's leg and dropping it to the ground.

I then took some of the supplies from my kit and cleaned and bandaged the wound. I then moved to the large stab wound on her back, right below her shoulder blades. By the messy appearance of the injury, it looked like she was stabbed repeatedly in the same spot.

She's lucky that it didn't hit her spine. I noticed Jeff simply staring down at Changeling while I worked. As I started cleaning the stab wound, I felt her body tense up as a low hiss sounded from her.

I quickly cleaned it the best I could and bandaged her back. I finally moved to her shoulder, where I could see a small bullet lodged right under the skin. I grabbed the small tongs in my kit and moved the skin around the spot.

Changeling immediately hissed at the pain again. I slowly and carefully grabbed the bullet and slid it out before cleaning and bandaging the spot. With all the major injuries done, I got to work on cleaning the smaller cuts that covered her body.