Chapter 8

"Whoa! This is where you live?!"

I laughed at Paul's statement and went to the front door. I unlocked it and opened the door, gesturing for them to come in.

"Yep. Come on in."

Zane let out a small whistle as he went inside with the others right behind. I entered last, closing the door behind me. I walked past them and into the living room. I smiled over at them.

"Have a seat. Let's get all the introductions out of the way, shall we?"

They each slowly came over and took a seat while still looking around at everything. I stayed standing in front of them, clearing my throat to get their attention.

"Now I know you all must be very confused, so allow me to introduce myself. My name is Marlow Bridges and I welcome you all to my home. And in case you're wondering, I'm 19. Now I want each of you to introduce yourselves to the group."

It grew quiet as they all glanced between one another. I watched them in silence until Jasper let out a sigh.

"My name is Jasper Cross. I'm also 19."

Paul grinned and leaned back on the couch comfortably. "I'm Paul. Paul Archer. I happen to be 20."

I noticed Zane roll his eyes before finally speaking. "Zane Rivers. 20."

In the next moment, we all looked over at Oliver, who instantly shrunk back in his seat upon noticing everyone watching him. I smiled slightly and went over to him, leaning down to meet his gaze.

"Well aren't you just adorable. This here's Oliver Reed. He's 18, making him the youngest."

He gave me a small smile as I gently ruffled his hair before standing up straight. "Alright then. It's time I fill you all in. You four are no longer human. You're powerful creatures just like me. The five of us are a team, a pack that takes care of one another."

All eyes were on me as I stood in front of them, explaining everything. "I'm sorry for attacking all of you that night."

"So that was you?" Zane asked me.

I sighed, nodding my head as I turned my gaze to the floor. "Yes. I'm truly sorry for doing this to all of you. That was before I could control myself. I hope that you can forgive me."

"It's no big deal. We forgive you, Marlow," Paul said while waving a hand dismissively. "We all make mistakes. Besides, I think this is all really cool."

I looked up, seeing the others nodding in agreement with Paul. I smiled at them.

"Thank you. To make up for it, I'm willing to take you in, give you everything you want, and teach you how to use your powers. Basically, you have two options. You can either stay here with me, or return to your original families and probably get put in jail or back in the asylum. The choice is yours."

It was quiet, but only for a moment as Zane broke the silence. "Tch, like hell I'm going back. My dad works so much that he barely even notices I'm there. I'd much rather stay here. Besides, I owe you, Marlow."

His sudden grin caused me to smile. Paul propped his feet up on the coffee table and smiled.

"Eh, I was paying too much for my apartment anyway. At least here I get a free place and I don't have to get a job. Plus, I'm up for anything fun and exciting."

"I'd like to stay as well." I looked at Jasper upon hearing his monotone voice. "My parents thought I belonged in an asylum years ago. You're the first person who's been so nice to me."

A small smile spread across his lips as he gazed up at me. All of us then looked over at Oliver, who nervously stared down at his lap.

"My mom always tried to make me perfect," he said in a quiet voice. "Perfect grades, perfect manners, perfect everything. But I'm tired of being picked on by everyone. After being in the hospital, my mom thought I was crazy when I tried to tell her about what happened. I'm just a disappointment in her eyes. I don't want to go back. I'd like to stay here."