Chapter 22

Masky's pov

"Well, that's three more taken care of," I said while looking at Hoodie and Toby.

Toby twitched and chuckled slightly. "At this rate, we'll kill all of these hunters before Changeling's fully recovered."

"What was that?"

Toby and I snapped our heads around upon hearing Hoodie's voice. It grew quiet as we followed Hoodie's gaze and soon heard the snapping of twigs and leaves.

We watched as a hunter emerged, his eyes immediately landing on us. He smirked at us and turned his head slightly, his eyes never leaving us.

"Hey, we've got some!" he yelled into the darkness.

Almost immediately afterwards, we heard more rustling along with loud barks and growls. Two other men appeared with four large dogs pulling them forward.

I stared in disgust at the disfigured beasts. They were almost as tall as a Nightstalker but more bulky and muscular.

They had thin bits of fur on their underbellies and legs while the rest of their bodies were covered with pinkish red skin. Large fangs jutted out from their narrow, almost skeletal snouts while their eyes were large and pale.

The first guy grinned at us and said, "What do you think of our hounds? They're genetic hybrids made specifically for hunting your kind."

The four dogs snarled and snapped their jaws as they pulled against their chain leashes. The two men that held them back grinned and dropped the chains. The four dogs immediately charged toward us.

I dodged one of them but then another bit into my leg. I quickly kicked it in the head, forcing it to let go with a whimper. Almost immediately after, the one that I dodged jumped at me, knocking me to the ground.

I struggled to hold it back as it snapped at my face. In an instant, there was a glint of metal and a splash of blood followed by the dog's head falling onto the ground beside me. I shoved the dog's now headless corpse off and struggled to my feet with Toby helping me up.

The other dogs had already been killed off and two of the hunters took off back into the darkness. Hoodie disarmed and grabbed the remaining man and held a knife to his throat.

The man chuckled and said, "You may have killed these four hounds, but there's plenty more where they came from. We've got a lab full of them. We will have victory over you monsters."

Hoodie slit his throat and dropped his body. I glanced down at my bloody leg and sighed.

"Let's get out of here. My leg is killing me."

Marlow's pov

My pack and I watched as Jeff and Jack practiced fighting. Slender stood on the sidelines along with Ben who played games on his laptop.

After almost a week of laying around here, I'm finally starting to feel much better. The five of us have also adjusted to this strange bunch and their regular routines.

I've noticed Jeff, Jack, and Slender's proxies often come out here to practice their fighting skills. They're actually really good too. It seemed like today was going to be a normal day, but everything seemed to go downhill when the proxies returned.

As soon as they came into sight, I could already tell that Masky was injured. He had a large tear in his pants leg that was covered in blood. I watched as the others rushed over to them.

"Masky, what happened to your leg?" Slenderman asked him.

"We found a few Nighthunters," he explained. "They had some kind of large, mutated dogs. We killed them, but one managed to bite me."