It Only Takes Once (Chapter 23)

"Hello Shakayln." Eve said walking into Khadarious's hospital room. Devin let me out of the house long enough for me to visit Khadarious.

He was scheduled for a EEG and a CT scan to make sure everything was alright with his brain activity.

"Hi Ms. Eve." I said smiling at her.

"How are you and those babies doing today?" She asked checking Khadarious's vitals before putting on a pair of latex gloves.

"We're doing fine, my back hurts like crazy though. Not to mention this boy of mine has been tap dancing on my bladder the last two weeks." I said making her laugh.

"Dr. Ross tells me different." She said eyeing me before changing out Khadarious's feeding tube.

Damn news spreads fast. Dr. Ross wasn't playing when she said she'd keep an eye on me at all times.

"I'm just a little stressed out." I sighed while shrugging.

"Baby girl, you're more than 'a little  stressed out.' You've sunk into a depression and it's starting to affect your health as well as the health of those babies. Shakayln I know you're hurting but you're stronger than this." She said giving me a sympathetic look.

"It's easier said than done Ms. Eve. I've tried, trust me, I really have. I just feel so empty and broken without him, I'm lost and I don't know what to do." I sighed.

"I can't imagine what you're going through baby and I'm not going to sit here and pretend like I know what to do or say to help you, because I don't. What I do know is that we serve an Almighty God and he has his hand upon your life, your children's lives, and Khadarious's life and your situation as a whole. I'm here for you Shakayln, if you need to talk, vent, cry, or pray. I'm here baby girl." She said hugging me.

"Thanks Ms. Eve." I said smiling at her through my tears.

"Anytime baby, I'm always here." I

She said hugging me once more before going to the bedside to  attend to Khadarious and prep him for his testing.

"I'll be here when you get back baby, love you." I said kissing his forehead before he was wheeled out of his room.

I made myself comfortable on the couch while Khadarious was getting his testing done.

"Shakayln!" Devin said busting into the hospital room.

"What Devin?" I whined trying to snatch the covers back from him.

"I thought I said an hour, not three Shakayln." Devin said pointing to the Rolex on his wrist.

"I fell asleep." I mumbled.

"Take your butt home, now!" Devin said pointing to the door.

"You are not my daddy, I don't have to listen to you." I said rolling my eyes at him.

"You just wait til K.D wake up, I'm telling him about your lil nasty attitude and all that damn back talk you've been giving me." He said turning his nose up at me.

"Go ahead." I said smacking my lips.

"Gladly my nigga, gladly." He said mugging me.

"Devin move." I said kicking him off of me.

"Chill out Shak." He said putting my feet in his lap as he sat down. "Damn bruh, why the hell your feet look like this?" He asked scrunching his face up.

"They're swollen idiot." I said making myself comfortable again on the couch. "Can you fix my covers?" I asked referring to the plush blanket that was bunched up.