Chapter 3: Moving Day

That’s the last box." My dad said as he closed the moving trucks door shut, and dusted off his hands.

My mother and I stared at the house we once called home.

Today was moving day. Its been months since I had gotten an abortion and between the rumors and gossip that filled my high school, and the memories my house brought my parents decided that It was time to move.

The memories of my childhood began to flash back and forth. The good and bad moments, but a lot of them included Uncle Leon, the good and bad.

I exhaled deeply as my dad came behind me and placed his hands on my shoulders, rubbing them up and down in a steady motion.

"It’s going to be alright." He whispered into my ear.

I looked up at him as I began to nod my head up and down.

I picked up my Tommy Hilfiger bag as I threw it over my shoulder. I began to make my way towards my mother’s minivan.

"You ready?" My mother questioned as she pushed her key into the ignition.

I nodded my head as I looked out the passenger window.

"Everything’s going to be alright." My mother reassured me as she placed her hand onto my thigh, giving it a warm pat.

My mother began to take off as she seen my fathers moving truck began to make a move on, taking his lead my mother began to drive behind him as we took a long drive to Chicago.

**

We finally made a stop them we pulled up to a two garage door house. The house was decent and carried a home presence. Very safe and comforting. This was what Id be calling home.

After setting up my room, I laid down onto my bed, exhausted.

I thought about how I would adjust to living in Chicago. Tomorrow was my first day and I was definitely nervous. Not just about what I was going to wear but also about how I would be looked at and what they would think about me.

I rose up, getting up from my bed and walked over towards my mirror.

I eyed myself into the clear glass mirror.

I was not an ugly girl.

I had nice full pink lips, my teeth were straight. My eyes were kind of big, but I could deal. My hair reached my shoulders. My mother refused to perm my hair, in fear It would get damaged.

I sighed as I stood up and flicked my light off. I made my way over towards my bed and new state, new house but same routine.

I covered my face with my pillow and let out my tears. It amazed me that after all this time, these tears fell harder and harder.

That night, I cried myself to sleep just like the other nights I have.

I woke up to the sound of my door opening.

"Morning hunny." My mother greeted.

"Morning."

I rubbed the crust out of my eyes before stretching out my two arms above my head.

"I left some food for you on the table."

"Ok Mom thanks." I nodded my head as I stood up.

"Yea just tell me when you're ready."

I nodded as I walked over towards my closet. 

I decided to wear something simple. I pulled out a ruby red shirt and a pair of blue washed out high waisted jeans.