Chapter 24

Chapter 24

In the front garden and just outside the gate were what looked like all the residence of the farm.  They all turned to her as she appeared on the front porch, determination set on their faces.  As they turned back, Brindles eyes followed and she actually stopped breathing at what she saw.  Brindle gave herself this moment of panic, knowing there wouldn’t be time for it after this.

“Marcus?”  She asked through their mind link, as she scanned the beings that stood just beyond the farms residence.

“They want the woman and her children little one.  They know of their heritage and believe them to be evil.”  Marcus paused, waiting for Brindle to understand the full implications of what he’d said.

“No!”  She all but screamed in his mind.  “Trust me Guardian,” she sent to Arias, “Get Brae and follow me.”  Arias looked at her a little confused and she rolled her eyes at him, “he’s gonna be pissed if we leave him behind!”  Arias nodded and disappeared.

Brindle looked to Marcus, but he was waiting for her to take the lead as she should.  She turned to the beings that stood looking at her so formidable, so strong and so terrifying.  She looked them over quickly noting the similar builds to Marcus and Arias.  They weren’t quite as tall or strong looking but they were enough to scare the hell out of any sensible person.  There was also something ethereal about them, something that made her want to look upon them in awe.

Her mind worked quickly sorting through the multitude of memories she had stored.  She was amazed that it took only seconds to find what she needed.  “Searchers!  Marcus, I won’t let them take this family, I know what they will do to them.  They won’t stop to see if they are truly evil, they will kill them without any consideration that they may be innocent.  And Marcus, I won’t let that happen!”

“I am with you ‘Keeper’, lead and we shall follow.”

Brindle looked at the being in the centre figuring he’d be the one in charge.  “I know who you are,” Brindle spoke in a calm voice.  “You call yourself Searchers, once an honourable pat to follow.” 

She waited for their leader to speak and as he opened his mouth to speak, “Your kind have long lost your way; your charter was to search out and destroy evil.  But you have either grown lazy or complacent!”

The leader growled audibly, “Who are you woman that you think to speak to your betters this way.  I have brought greater men to heel and you woman; you will beg forgiveness for your impudence!”

“I believe you have that wrong Dmitri,” Brindle watched him carefully and noted the shock that she had known his name.  She shook her head and laughed before addressing Dmitri again, “You know I find it highly amusing that most of the bad-asses in this world know who I am and you… the supposed ‘good guys’ haven’t got a clue.”

Brindle saw utter surprise on Dmitri’s face and knew that the penny had finally dropped.  He opened his mouth to speak as if to speak, but couldn’t find any words.  Brindle stood straight and tall, giving the appearance of being taller than she actually was.  She placed her hands on her hips and looked him straight in the eye.

“My name is Brindle Jacobs, I am a descendant of a long line of potential ‘Keepers’!  I am both honoured and burdened with the title of “The Final Keeper’!  You and your kind Dmitri answer to me and I’m telling you to back off!  This is a place of sanctuary and the family you see are under my protection.”

Dmitri and his men looked somewhat shaken and Brindle took advantage of the moment.  She closed her eyes and drew the family to her, the mother and her three children.  Then she looked at Marcus and they disappeared.