Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Marcus explained the conversation he’d just had with Brindle, including the part where she said she wouldn’t let Arias tell her what to do, although he didn’t elaborate as to exactly what she’d said.  Arias in turn was somewhat miffed and considering his experience, Marcus couldn’t blame him, but then again he didn’t know Brindle.  Marcus did his best to keep a straight face while explaining to Arias that Brindle had a mind of her own and that she would not take kindly to him trying to take control of her. 

Marcus went on to explain that he and Brindle worked as a team, he guided and advised her, he didn’t tell her what to do or force an issue.  She had a strong mind and the gifts she’d been given enhanced it.  She was quick thinking and would work towards the best outcome possible with the least amount of damage.

Obanab sat quietly listening to Marcus as he got Arias up to speed regarding ‘The Keeper’ and the type of Guardian he needed to be for her.  “If,” Marcus said, “you want to be a Guardian that can work with Brindle, then you will need to learn to listen when she speaks.  Do not dismiss her because she was once human.  She is ‘The Keeper’ and she has already earned our respect.”

“The Arch’s,” Arias began, “why did they not tell me any of this?  My brief was to take your place Marcus, to be the Guardian I have always been.  Nothing of what you have told me was said!”  He looked from Marcus to Obanab, but they didn’t speak.  He thought about all that he’d been told here and knew that whatever was to come, it would not be what everyone was expecting.

“She has agreed to my being her Guardian?  She will listen and not ignore me and take off like she did last time?”

This time Obanab spoke, “Arias, you are good great Warrior and a true Guardian, but Brindle is like no other you have met before.  She will not be bound or controlled by anyone good or evil.  Keep that in mind when you are trying to get her to hear you.  Tread carefully, but don’t treat her like a child because she is far from it and you may well feel her wrath if you do.”

Arias nodded, “Thank you for what you have told me… both of you.  I can’t help but feel somewhat like a novice and she is my first my first assignment, my first ‘Keeper’.”  He laughed and ran his fingers threw his hair.  “She truly has agreed to this?”

“For the time being yes, but remember this Arias, she is mine!  I will come to her when she calls and Arias, when that time comes you will need to make a choice.”

Arias had no idea what he had gotten himself into, he had been told this was a simple assignment, he was to act as Guardian for a time.  But now he saw that there was much more to it than he was led to believe and now he wondered just what game the Arch’s were playing at.

“It is time,” Marcus said and he sent an image to Arias showing him where he was to meet Brindle and Brae.  “Watch over her my friend.”

Arias bowed in thanks to Obanab then turned to Marcus.  “You can be sure I will take care with your ‘Keeper’ old friend and your advice will not go astray.  I sense there is much to her story and yours that is still to be told.  If I am to be part of that story you can rest assured that I will do whatever it takes to keep her safe for you.” 

That said he was gone and Marcus and Obanab looked at each other with missed hopes knowing that for the moment all that could be done had been.  For now it was up to Brindle, Brae and Arias.

                                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brindle and Brae sat under the Willow tree near the huge flower beds in the Botanic Gardens, the sun was turning and taking the main heat of the day with it.  Brindle rested her head on Braes shoulder but was getting restless and rose to wonder along the edge of the flower beds.  She wanted – needed something and then she heard it, the cry of the eagle hawk high above her.