Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Marcus stood outside the Arch’s rooms for a moment reflecting on all that had come to pass since his last visit there.  Then he felt a great presence bringing him back to the moment and walked through to the conference area.  As he entered he froze just inside the doorway taking in the sight before him.  He stood stock still as he scanned the Angels that had gathered.

Not since the last battle with evil had there been anything near this kind of gathering.  Shock raced over his face and Michael came forward and clasped his forearms in greeting.  “Well met Marcus, it is good to see you again.  I trust you travelled well?”

Marcus returned the greeting, looking over the Arch’s shoulder in shock as he saw the High Arch Gabriel turn to acknowledge his arrival.  Marcus nodded in return and wondered exactly what was going on.  He looked to Michael, but before he could speak Gabriel’s voice silenced the room.  His voice was deep commanding and projected great strength. 

His voice complemented the Arch as it fitted the look of him, standing near seven feet tall and build like a linebacker.  He was all solid muscle, but muscle that bespoke of years of work and toil.  His hair was a sandy blonde and his eyes a steel grey.  There was hardness there; hardness that Marcus knew could be used to do whatever was necessary to save the world from evil.  

Gabriel was a big man, tall and strong but even so he moved with the grace of an Angel as he moved towards Marcus and grasped him on his forearms as Michael had done.  Marcus was honoured, he had only met the High Arch once but that was so long ago and he had barely had time to speak the official words of greeting when he’d been drawn away to meet with someone else. 

Gabriel was as a mountain, unshifting and unswerving in his belief that the peoples of this world should be protected.  He may sit at the right hand of God, but he knew hard work and he knew battle and from what Marcus could understand of what he’d seen so far, they were here to talk ‘war’.

“Come,” Gabriel began, “We have been waiting to hear from you.  How goes the situation with ‘The Keeper’?”  Gabriel led Marcus towards the conference table and those gathered there.  He looked at the faces around him then back to Gabriel who waited expectantly for Marcus to reply.

“All is going well with ‘The Keeper’ Gabriel, she is so much more than anyone anticipated.”  Marcus shook his head slightly at the situation.  He should not be here; he should be with his Charge, ensuring her safety.

Gabriel sensed his thoughts and rested his hand on the Guardians shoulder in support.  “I know you wish to be with your Charge my friend, but there are matters that must be discussed and your input is vital.”

Some of the tension disappeared from his face and Marcus nodded and took a seat with the other.  As he sat down he saw that Michael sat at Gabriel’s right and he suddenly realised that Gabriel had placed him at his left.  This was an honour that Marcus did not feel he deserved and as he tried to stand Gabriel pushed him back down. 

“There are few that have earned to right to sit in this seat Marcus, you have been a strong Warrior, and a loyal Guardian to all your Charges.  What you have experienced throughout your existence and what will soon come to pass gives you the right to sit beside me.”  Gabriel looked closely at Marcus and knew that a great deal more had happened than he had first thought.  “Come, my friend, get us up to speed.”

Marcus sighed and looked around the room once more, there were other Arch’s there which made Marcus think that things were escalating a lot quicker than he’d thought.  He looked across the table and Raphael nodded to him, an expectant expression on his face.  Ariel too was there as was Haniel and Uriel.  He knew most of the Arch’s, had spent time with or worked with them at one time or another.  They trusted his strength, his knowledge and his judgement in allowing him to be Brindle’s Guardian and if they had questions, he would answer them.