Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Brae met Brindle as she came to the gate surrounding the farm house; he didn't speak just nodded in acknowledgement and followed her inside. Brindle had sensed his presence when she was by the lake and got the feeling he didn't want to leave her, at least not while she was at the farm.  

 Ordinarily she would have been miffed at having someone watch so closely over her, but for some reason she wasn't. Strangely she felt comfortable with this knowledge and knew instinctively that Brae would put his life on the line to help her if there was a needed no questions asked. He was 'Other'; he was a Changeling, a Shifter... a Warrior! And she hoped with all her heart that she'd never need to call upon him for help.

As Brindle came through the front door she heard voices chatting until they realised she'd returned. She smiled at everyone when they turned toward her. Marcus stood and waited for her to come closer then gestured for her to sit on overstuffed lounge chair he'd been in, then he moved to stand to the right at the back of the chair; Brae was already standing to the left.

As she sat down she could feel the warmth emanating from both their bodies and this somehow comforted her... she no longer felt so alone in it all. She had no idea what would happen next in regards to her destiny... quest... whatever, and for the moment she and Marcus weren't alone.

Brindle and Marcus spent the rest of the day and a good part of the evening at the farm, she felt at home there, comforted just as she had when she was a child. She had no real knowledge of what lay ahead of her, but for the moment she could to lose herself in the feelings of welcome and belonging.

All too soon Marcus touched her shoulder, a sign that it was time to leave. A tear escaped her eye as she held Joslyn and Brody close not wanting to let them go. As she looked up at them, they too had tears in their eyes, but their eyes also gleamed with the pride they felt for her in what she had taken on.

"Whoa!" she said, "life will truly never be the same again." Brindle searched the faces of her friends, her family... because that's what they had always been to her, she needed to know that they were alright, that they would be able to fight whatever might come their way. As she stood there she saw deep within their eyes the strength of the entire community. She knew instinctively that even though there may be loses, in the end they would still be standing. 

Brindle kissed them both on the cheek, took a step back, gave a slight nod and a smiled then turned to leave. Marcus guided her out the front door and down the porch steps and as she walked her eyes rushed over the garden and the fields looking for a hint of 'Fey', a hint of 'Other', but was not surprised when she found nothing.

She leaned into Marcus looking up at him with a nod to let him know she was ready to leave and was surprised to see him not looking at her but over her shoulder. She turned to see what he was looking at, then looked back at him a little confused. "Marcus," she said, "Why is Brae standing there with a duffle bag over his shoulder?"

"Brae wishes to come with us little one. He feels the need to be near and I'm thinking this could be a good thing. You will have two protectors." 

Brindles' breath caught in her throat and she shook her head. She swallowed and cried, "No! I won't be responsible for him getting hurt Marcus. I won't!" 

Marcus looked at her steadily and nodded toward Brae, "I somehow think he has made his decision little one." 

Brae came forward then and did something that just about floored her. He knelt down on one knee, took her hand and resting his forehead on the back of her hand said, "I will go with you My Lady, I will work with your Guardian to protect you... to keep you safe. You are a blessed gift to us all and I mean to see that you are well and able to fulfil your destiny."