Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Brindle sat on the couch and Marcus in his customary chair opposite her.  “Marcus,” she began.  “I don’t need to rest; I’m not tired at all.” 

Marcus nodded and said, “When I say rest little one what I mean is for you to be still, to rest your mind…” 

“You mean meditate?”  She asked. 

“Yes, in a sense, but more so that you quieten your mind and let it wonder through what has happened today, come to terms with it and then ask any questions you might have.”

Brindle considered this for a moment then responded, “Actually that’s a good idea Marcus, I think I need to mull over everything for a bit and yeah, I’m sure to have questions.  But then will we talk about what happens next?”

Marcus nodded at Brindle, “We will discuss many things this night I believe, but first you need to be still and let your mind quieten itself.”  He waited for Brindle to agree with him and when she nodded he asked if she would like to rest on the couch or in her bedroom.  She opted for her bedroom and he followed her in.

When she’d settled on the bed she asked him if he was going to stay and watch her, she was getting use to him being with her, but she also wanted a bit of space too and sensing this he said he would be in the living room. 

As he turned to leave she called to him, “Marcus, will you always be here with me… I mean like we have been since I met you, or will it be… intermittent, depending on how well things settle down?”

Her question stopped him in his tracks; he wasn’t expecting this question until things had as she put it settled down.  He knew what he should tell her, knew what he wanted to tell her and thought for a moment before answering not wanting to lie to her. 

“I will always be near little one, I may not be here in the physical as I am now, but all you need do is call and I would be by your side in a moment.”

He sighed and for a moment age and the years of his existence began to creep into his face.  He turned from her before she could see this, not wanting her to see that she had caught him off guard and that he was also having difficulty in responding to her. 

“You are part of me now little one, as I am part of you.”  He left it at that and walked slowly back to his seat in the living room.

Brindle looked after him not exactly sure of what he’d tried to say to her, she knew he would always be near and for now she decided to concentrate on that.  This was a good thing as who knew when she might need him.  But there was something else in what he’d said that sent a slight prickle up the back of her neck, something she had a feeling she’d need to deal with sometime soon.

She shook her head trying to clear her mind and lay back on the pillows snuggling up with Jake and letting her mind quieten as Marcus put it.  She concentrated on her breathing, slowing it down and as she did so her mind really did seem to quieten.  She opened herself up to it and let her mind wonder at will, the day played out in front of her like watching a movie, just like the memories Obanab had given her.

Brindle watched quietly taking note of all that happened, but paying particular attention to the scene in her Uncle’s office as she took charge and added to her Uncle’s attempt at security.  She shook her head internally at what she’d done, realising that she’d pulled all the information from someplace in her newly installed memories.

She had no idea where she’d gotten the things she needed, only that she knew what was needed and she drew them to her.  She looked down at her hand and saw the silver ring on her finger and touched the hematite set in it, it was cold and hard, but somewhat comforting as well.  She would always wear this ring now and would make sure that her Uncle and Marcus did so as well.  She wasn’t sure if Marcus needed it, but it made her feel better knowing he had it.