Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Marcus had been with Brindle throughout her meeting with Arias; he remained silent and let her handle the situation as only she could.  He was proud of her stubbornness and how she stood up to Arias.  Marcus has known Arias since he was a Guardian in training and knew even though he had a good heart and would want only what was best for Brindle, he would want to be in control.  This was something he knew Brindle would not agree to, something in fact she would rebel against.

He had tried to explain this to the Arch’s, but they had cut him off and assumed he was being difficult and giving in to his emotions.  They didn’t want to hear that perhaps they were wrong.  Perhaps Marcus actually knew ‘The Keeper’ better than they believed and that what he felt for her was in fact a huge benefit, one she will not have with Arias.

He let Brindle feel him close within her mind, let her feel his warmth and the pride he had in her for standing up to a Guardian.  He knew that in time the Arch’s, in fact all the Angels Guardian or not would realise that for ‘The Keeper’ to be what she was meant to be, she would need her true Guardian with her.  Marcus knew that he would be needed to stand by her side if she were to be all she could be, but for the time being he could do nothing but wait for this realisation to happen.  And pray that Brindle wasn’t taken from them all before then.

Marcus remained within his quarters for several days, what would amount to about a week in earthly days.  He paced his rooms and openly fretted for his Charge, a Charge that had become so much more than someone he was just meant to watch over and protect.  He wondered how she truly felt about him… if she felt anything other than what a ‘Keeper’ would normally feel for her Guardian.

He could have searched her mind to discover what he wanted to know, but that seemed too much like an invasion.  And this was something he knew Brindle would not forgive easily, if at all.  He had thought he would be re-assigned straight away; there were many potential ‘Keepers’ out there that needed a Guardian to watch over them.  They would never become what Brindle was, but they would still be ‘Keepers’ and could be called upon to fight.

Marcus sat by the window and looked out wondering if he would see Brindle again soon.  His vision had given him hope that he may stand with her again in the future, a future that was very different to the world that existed at present.

Marcus knew he couldn’t push to be sent back the his Charge, to do so would only antagonise the Arch’s and give them more leverage in regards to preventing him from doing so ever again.  So he thought to himself he’d bide his time, he’d wait it out and if necessary he’d got to Brindle if she was in need of him… no matter the consequence.

                                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Arias followed Brindle, Brae and Father Adrian as they left the basement gym.  He knew he needed to take charge, but he now realised that this ‘Keeper’ had a mind of her own.  She was stubborn and wilful and she needed to learn that there he was there to protect her, to keep her safe.  She needed in effect to learn to do what she was told, because he believed as a Guardian it was his role to lead her.

As he stepped out of the doorway from the gym Father Adrian stopped him, throwing an array of questions at him regarding why it was he was sent here and not Marcus and when would Marcus be returning as he had promised his niece.

Arias tried to calm the priest and began to answer his questions when he realised he could no longer sense Brindle or the Shifter.  He growled at the priest and demanded to know where they had gone.  He was there to protect them and he couldn’t do that if they disappeared on him like this.