Chapter 18 - Part 1

Chapter 18

Nutmeg's hoof beats were like thunder on the hard ground. Evrart's ears were ringing in the wind. Her legs were tensed around the saddle, keeping her steady and upright.

The sun was high overhead in the sky.

She was out of the groves of trees that surrounded the city and was riding across the plains. She had paused only to ask for directions to Easterden before charging out of the gates. The city guards did not, or could not, stop her for her speed was too great or they simply could see that she was just another soldier of the army.

Her eyes were locked on the horizon where she knew Easterden was. She passed through a few small towns, generally causing a bit of a disturbance. She thought she could see the mountains in the distance.

The longer she rode, the more she worried. The army could not have traveled so far with men on foot as well as horseback. She furrowed her brow and shook the reigns harder. She might not be able to stop him going to war but she would express to him the truth.

After a few hours she slowed down the horse to a trot before stopping entirely by a well on the outskirts of a town. Nutmeg's body shook beneath her as the horse gave deep breaths and foam came from the edge of his mouth. She removed her weight and felt his body sigh with relief.

Evrart pushed the bucket into the well and it seemed to fall for a long time before she finally heard a splash. Slowly she turned the wheel, wincing the water up the shaft. Her arms screamed and her legs felt weak from hours of riding. Behind her she thought she could feel a crowd of what she supposed were children gathering to watch the noble girl lift water from a well for the first time in her life.

It took her more effort to pull the bucket to the stone wall that formed the shaft. She leaned against the stone and breathed heavily. The water in the bucket made a soft sloshing sound. Cupping her hands together, Evrart drank. She panted as she took the water in and when she was at last quenched she placed the bucket in front of Nutmeg, who she had secured to a post, so that he could drink freely.

While he lapped up the water she rummaged through her pack, conscious of her audience. They were probably wondering why a lone soldier of the royal army was passing through when the army itself had passed through in a large number. She found a small bundle of grapes which she thought she should eat first. Pirella had also packed a huge bag of dates for they were her favourite along with a few Ka'ak rolls.

She sat down on the small step that surrounded the well by Nutmeg's head. It had been warmed thoroughly by the sun and she let the stones relax the muscles of her legs. She opened the wrappings of her small meal and examined the contents.

She plucked a grape and lifted it to the light. Inside she could see the shadows of the seeds that hid within the sweet flesh. She popped it into her mouth and her eye was drawn by a pair of ragged children standing by the fence on the edge of the square. For a brief moment Evrart sat up straighter thinking that they were the same children that she had seen on the day she and Rupert had wandered the city together.

However they were not. The little girl gave a squeak and dodged behind a bush. Evrart swallowed the remainder of the grape. There was nothing she could do for them that could truly improve their overall future. If she gave them food now there was no telling if they would eat it or go store it away for when they were truly hungry. Or, they could have it taken away from them by someone stronger and keener to live.

She avoided eye contact and stared down into the purple pods that filled her lap. She ate slowly, aware that time was sliding away but also having trouble stomaching the food when there was clearly someone who needed it more than she. Unable to eat anymore of the grapes she wrapped them up. Instead of packing them away into her bag, Evrart left them on the step where they would be visible to the children when she left.

She kicked over the bucket, emptying the remainder of the water that Nutmeg hadn't drunk. The horse seemed a lot calmer now and his breathing wasn't as deep. Evrart gave him a friendly pat on the side. He neighed softly and turned to nibble at her hair.

"I'm sorry," she whispered to him, "I promise you will have everything you could ever want once we return home."

He nuzzled her before she mounted. She made sure she was comfortable. Her last action was to turn her head and smile at the children who were still hiding. The girl's eyes went wide and she saw them turn to the food as Nutmeg began to walk away.

She had only gone a few metres when she slapped the reigns down and sent Nutmeg flying.

The landscape began to shift once more as the hills grew and the land became greener. She continued to follow the signs that pointed the road to Easterden with increasing pace.

She could not help but think about the war. Had the Windsmen attacked yet? Would Philip be too late? Would the city fall? All of the questions she had she knew would be answered when she found the camp. She kept telling herself that they had had a substantial head start and that was why she hadn't caught up to them.

It was late afternoon when she caught a glimpse of the flags of Dayrius and Meol flying brightly in the wind above the hills. Her heart sank and her stomach rose in her chest. Soon enough she would be in the company and she would be able to divulge the truth.

She made a grim smile. She continued to follow the road slowing down ever so slightly because she was within sight and they were not moving any faster.

Going in the opposite direction Evrart noticed an increase in the traffic. Each group travelling the road to Bymerrow all had the same weary look. They would have a cart pulled by an ancient donkey who looked like he had one last good pull left in him and their eyes would be trained on the ground. It took her a moment to understand why all of these people were travelling. When she finally got it she felt appalled at herself for not knowing sooner.

The effects of war were already beginning to plague the kingdom with a virus that was not only quick spreading but could cause huge destruction. The people were refugees, driven from their homes by fear. The city of Easterden could not support such a population of civilians for it was more a fortress than anything else. Unfortunately it left people packing with nowhere to go but to travel the roads and hope that they end someplace where their lives are better off.

I hope this war ends soon, she thought. Really it hadn't started but the kingdom was already suffering. Evrart could not understand how her father had allowed this to happen. He had known that the Windsmen were trouble for a long time at the border but he had refused to do anything but the bare minimum to ensure the security of the borders. King Talon had allowed the Kingdom to become sleepy and unable to fight without outside aid.