Kik, Death, and Payoff

Chapter Twenty- Five

Kik, Death, and Payoff

Whitney's POV

"How the fuck did I not see this coming?! How the fuck did you find me?! What the actual fuck?" The words just spewed out of my mouth without a warning. I am so flabbergasted at this. How the fuck did she sneak a gun into an amusement park? How the fuck did I not see what was underneath the fake hair color and contacts? Most importantly: HOW THE FUCK AM I GOING TO MAKE IT OUT OF THIS ALIVE?!

"Oh honey, sometimes it amazes me how dense you can be. I thought I was the stupid friend out of the two of us." Sydney snickered.

"You are the stupid one." I spat.

"Do you really want to insult the one holding the gun? You've got nowhere to go, Whitney. I've wanted you dead for so long and now I've got nothing to stop me. I highly doubt that man with the ladder is going to come up to a lady with a gun and ask her to let you go." Sydney waved the gun at the man and for a split second I thought about launching at her and making her lose the gun. But that thought was quickly evaporated as a metal creaking sound floated into my ears. I looked down, as did Sydney, only to see the stupid, yet thoughtful, man with the ladder. Sydney began to laugh. Manically, I might add.

"Hello. Um, they sent me up here to ask you to put down the gun and release yourself to the authorities with no charges against you." The poor lad had no clue what was coming and was shaking like hell. I felt so bad for him and immediately cursed whoever sent him up here. He wasn't going to go back down alive.

"HA! If I go down there, I will get charged. And do you want to know why?" She waved the gun around again, the man's eyes following it where ever it went. He shrugged, not knowing she was a mass murderer.

"I'VE KILLED PEOPLE. I am a murderer and I will not go in peace until this girl is dead as well as her pretty little friends. Especially her boyfriend." His eyes went wide and with that, she raised her gun. He began yelling and screaming for them to lower him but it was about to be too late. I turned my head, eyes shut and ears plugged, waiting for the gunshot.

Sure enough, it came and when I finally looked over, I saw blood splatter on Sydney's face and heard the ladder creak down to the ground, people below running and screaming frantically. I'd be doing the same if I wasn't stuck on this ride. I looked into Sydney's natural blue eyes and I searched for some bit of innocence, something that would tell me that the old her was under there somewhere. I don't know why I keep doing this, searching and hoping.

I guess a part of me hopes that this is all a dream, a horrible nightmare. Her blue eyes were cold as stones, colder than ice, colder than snow below freezing. Her demeanor was enough to confirm she wasn't herself anymore. She hadn't been for months, possibly years, I don't know. I don't know where she went wrong, or even where I went wrong. Why was she after me? After all this time, she was never clear as to why I was her target.

"Sydney, why are you doing this?"

"You know why I'm doing this Whitney."

"No, I don't. Every time I've asked, you've dodged the question. Why, out of everyone in the world, everyone in London, you chose me? It makes no sense. What have I done to make you want to kill me?" I turn to face her, and her arm falters a bit, lowering the gun. The chaos below has quieted down since she lowered the gun and I was thankful they weren't screaming at her.

"How can you not know? Do you not realize just how good you have it? How good you've had it since I met you? What do you even know about me Whitney? You've never been interested in how I'm doing, or who I am. You've always been one to think of how someone can benefit you if you're friends with them." She looked out past the trees, the cars, and the people. I followed her eyes, confused still.