chapter twenty-eight

    A lone wolf howl echoes through the night, sending a shiver down Harry's spine. He glances up to see a sheet of black with speckled stars and a crescent moon. As he looks out towards the horizon, he sees no other sign of humanity— no lights, no cars, no people. Just like the distant wolf, he's truly alone out here.

    He's sitting on their rickety porch swing, drowning in his own thoughts and guilt. He can still taste Dean's blood on his teeth, and no matter how many times he rinses his mouth, the metallic flavor won't go away. He stares down at his lap and frowns.

    Humidity sticks to his skin and causes him to sweat. The gentle hum of summertime cicadas fill the atmosphere, interlaced with cricket chirps. Every now and then, a subtle breeze sweeps through the air and brushes against Harry's face to cool him off.

    He tries to clear his head, but he simply can't. He can't stop thinking about Dean. He can't stop thinking about sucking his blood and watching the life drain from his eyes. Even though Louis was the one who lost his temper, he blames himself.

    "Love?"

    Harry's eyes dart towards the screen door. Louis stands there with a frown on his face. His irises are no longer silver with hunger; instead, they're soft and blue like the ocean on a calm day. Harry kind of wants to drown in them.

    "I told you I wanna to be alone," Harry grumbles, crossing his arms over his chest.

    Louis pouts. "But I'm worried about you," he persists. He sits next to Harry on the porch swing, leaving a small gap between them. The rusted metal chains creak above them.

    "Don't worry about me," Harry huffs, staring down at his feet. He's wearing a pair of muddy cowboy boots that are probably one size too large, giving his toes extra room. The brown leather is coated in scratch marks and dirt.

    "But you're my bond," Louis rebuttals, lifting Harry's chin. "I love you. I need to make sure you're okay."

    "I'm fine." Harry sighs and flinches away from Louis's touch. "I'm just depressed. I don't like hurting people."

    "That prick deserved it," Louis insisted. "He was a homophobic arse with a brain the size of a peanut. He hurt you, H."

    "But—"

    "No, I've had enough of this," Louis says firmly, grabbing Harry's shoulders. "You're a vampire, babe. You need to get over your fear of killing people. I know it's morally difficult, but we don't hurt the good guys. We only kill the bad ones."

    Harry's bottom lip quivers ever so slightly. It's a subtle movement of vulnerability, but Louis notices it instantly. Of course he does. He also notices the slight shimmer in his eyes and knows he's on the verge of tears.

    "I need you to be strong for me," Louis begins, voice low and steady.

    Harry sniffles. "I'm trying."

    Louis tilts his head slightly. "I'm proud of you, babe. You look a lot healthier now," he muses. "Before, you were starving yourself. I was worried sick about you."

    "I'm okay," Harry assures. A beat of silence passes between them. "I suppose I should thank you for protecting me, even if you did go a little extreme."

    Louis scoffs. "He punched my lovely boyfriend. Of course I lost my temper. I wanted to snap his neck."

    Harry flushes and places his hand over his lower stomach. "Still kinda hurts," he admits, wincing slightly.