chapter twenty-seven

"Would you like another drink, sir?" Harry asks sweetly, eyeing a customer's empty glass. His voice is soft and timid despite the bar's loud, rowdy atmosphere.

Bits of half-melted ice cling to the bottom of his tumbler glass. The man is a regular customer, well-known throughout the Whitehall community as Dean the infamous drunk. He's middle-aged, no older than fifty, with thinning hair and a plump beer belly. His facial hair is wiry and untrimmed, giving him a disheveled appearance.

"Sure, whatever," Dean says emotionlessly, barely giving Harry a single glance. He returns his attention to the football game playing on the bar's flat screen television. Nearby, a group of noisy men crowd around a small table with large mugs of foamy beer.

Harry resists every urge to roll his eyes. Over the past two days, he's learned a lot about controlling his anger and conscious opinions. He just forces out a false smile and grabs a bottle of Jack Daniel's from the top cupboard. He fills his glass up to the brim.

"Here you go," Harry says quietly, sliding the glass towards him.

Dean only grunts in response and takes the whiskey, drinking half of it in one gulp. Harry frowns and returns his attention to polishing the bar countertop. He tries to ignore the constant rumble of mindless chatter and drunken conversations.

Outside, the sun has already sunken into the horizon, leaving a sheet of pure black in the sky. Tiny stars speckle the heavens with bursts of twinkly lights. A crescent moon illuminates with a faint white glow.

Suddenly, Harry's phone dings in his back pocket. He glances around to make sure his boss isn't watching and unlocks it, narrowing his eyes at the bright screen. It's a Kik message from Louis. His heart flutters in his chest.

LouisTommo: how's work baby???  i miss u

Harry smiles softly and quickly types back a reply.

rosestyles: I'm okay. I told you not to text me during my shift.

He isn't really upset, but he likes to tease Louis for his possessiveness.

LouisTommo: but you didn't say anything about Kik...

Harry stiffles a laugh and bites his lip, already writing a response.

rosestyles: I miss you, too. I'll be home in two hours.

LouisTommo: do you wanna go out for a bite to eat tonight?

LouisTommo: get it? bite? Lol

rosestyles: I'm kind of tired. Maybe another night.

LouisTommo: baby...

rosestyles: What?

LouisTommo: u promised we'd go out tonight. ur starving yourself.

rosestyles: I'm not in the mood, Louis.

LouisTommo: please. I hate seeing you like this sweetheart. it's unhealthy.

Harry doesn't bother replying. He just slides his phone back into his pocket and starts re-stacking some of the glasses to keep himself busy. He doesn't want to think about killing anyone. Right now, he needs to focus on his new job.

"Hey, pretty boy!"

Harry looks up to see Dean staring at him at one of the bar stools. His eyes are hazy and his voice is raspy with intoxication. He taps his glass against the counter.