chapter twenty-four

chapter twenty-four

Everywhere he looks, Harry sees an infinite world of unfamiliarity. He sees foreign landscapes, uncharted territory, and intimidating mountain ranges sprawled across the dark horizon. Over the years, he's become accustomed to the busy city of Manchester— crowded streets and tightly-packed buildings. Now, he feels like a fish jumping out of a small bowl, diving into a realm of suffocating freedom.

He walks down the endless dirt path, holding Louis's hand securely. The warmth of nighttime surrounds them in a blanket of sweat and humidity. They pass by abandoned corn fields and old, trampled cow pastures. The scenery reminds Harry of those default computer wallpapers with rolling plains of fresh, green grass. It's soothing. He could definitely get used to having this natural beauty in his own backyard.

As part of their property purchase, they were given a horse stable in the far east corner of the farm. Harry giggles with excitement as they approach the large building with red aluminum siding. It's taller than anticipated, complete with huge double doors and exterior windows for each animal stall. The barn was recently restored, giving the metal cladding a shiny appearance.

"It's so pretty!" Harry says breathlessly, tugging on Louis's wrist excitably.

Louis chuckles. "I'm glad you like it, babe."

He releases Louis's hand and tries to open the barn doors. He tugs on the metal handle and attempts to slide it open, but nothing happens. He furrows his eyebrows before noticing the rusty chain and secured padlock. He frowns and turns towards his boyfriend.

"Do you have a key?"

Louis smirks and rummages through his pocket. He fishes out a ring with three different keys attached— one for the house, barn, and storage shed.

Harry pouts. "Why'd you let me try to open it if you knew it was locked?"

"Because you're cute when you're frustrated, darling," Louis says passively, sticking the correct key in the padlock. He twists it once, releasing an audible click. He unlocks the heavy door and slides it open with ease.

Harry sticks out his tongue before walking inside. The floor is covered with hard concrete and a dusty layer of brown dirt. Louis quickly flicks on the switch near the door to turn on the antique-styled lights. Wooden beams stretch above them, forming a pretty frame. Each of the stalls contain freshly-laid straw. The air smells like dust and metallic rust.

"There's so much space in here!" Harry muses, emerald eyes filled with wonder. His voice echoes throughout the barn.

Louis smiles fondly at him. He loves seeing Harry so happy. It gives his life purpose, something to chase after. Something to make his endless days worthwhile.

"What's wrong?" Harry asks suspiciously, noticing Louis's silence.

Louis lets out an airy laugh. "Nothing, baby. I'm just glad you're happy, 's all."

A faint blush creeps on Harry's cheeks. He ducks his head and lets Louis wrap his arms around his waist, pulling their chests together. Their foreheads touch gently, noses nuzzling in an innocent eskimo kiss. Louis squeezes his hips lovingly.

"I'm sorry you had to leave your old life behind," Louis says softly, face suddenly turning serious. Harry's strawberry lips press into a straight line. "I just— I want to make the best of it. I don't want you to be miserable because of... me."

Harry shakes his head. "Louis, what are you going on about? Do I look miserable?"

Louis pauses for a brief moment, as if trying to decide if his question was rhetorical. "Well, no, but—"