chapter twenty-five

chapter twenty-five

"I can't believe you take this long to get ready," Louis teases, shaking his head disapprovingly.

He's leaning up against the doorframe in their master bathroom, watching his boyfriend fondly with his arms crossed over his chest. Harry stands in front of the sink with a tube of black mascara, flicking the bristled brush against his lashes to lengthen them. He's mastered the art of applying makeup without a reflection. The large mirror is clean and smudge-free, showing the porcelain tub located behind him. He suppresses his instinctual habit to look up and check his appearance.

Harry smiles at the sound of Louis's smooth, archaic voice. "I wanna look perfect," he says softly. He pulls out his sparkly lipgloss from his Fool's Gold makeup bag and smooths it over his strawberry lips. He smacks them together audibly. "This is our first time in a new city with new people. I need to make a good impression."

Louis laughs and steps in closer. He wraps his warm arms around Harry's pudgy waist, resting his chin on his shoulder. He smells like floral perfume and mint toothpaste.

"Everyone you meet falls hopelessly in love with you," Louis reassures.

Harry blushes adorably and ducks his head. "That's not true."

"Of course it is. You're lovely," Louis murmurs and presses his lips to the side of his neck. He kisses him delicately, right above his scar. It sends a tingle down Harry's spine. "But you're mine, aren't you?"

Harry hums and leans into his touch. "Only yours."

Louis nibbles at his skin teasingly. "Love you so much, baby," he purrs. His breath feels cold against his lifeless flesh. "Always such a pretty boy. You make Daddy feel so damn lucky."

Harry bites his lip and tucks his hair behind his ear. "Lou, please," he says desperately, voice already wrecked and hoarse.

"What?" Louis asks innocently, as if he's not purposely trying to rile him up. As if he doesn't know Harry's kinks and weaknesses.

"We should leave soon. The furniture store closes at eight," Harry protests.

Louis sighs dramatically. "Okay, love. Get dressed. I'll go call a cab."

He pinches Harry's arse before leaving him in privacy, shutting the door behind him. He walks out to the empty kitchen and finds his phone on the granite countertop. He quickly calls a taxi and rattles off their new address. When he hangs up, he huffs and glances around aimlessly.

He can't help but imagine Harry standing in front of the stove with a frilly apron, flipping pancakes with a silver spatula. Silly domestic dreams always make his heart swell. His past marriages were all fraud and loveless, but he knows Harry's different. He's special. Perhaps they'll be together for a long time— maybe even forever.

He thought he was doomed to spend eternity in complete loneliness. He thought his life had no purpose. He used to waste his days plotting his next victim and feeling sorry for himself. But then Harry came along with his pretty green eyes and kindness and big heart. After all these years, Harry managed to make his countless past lives worthwhile.

"Lou?"

Louis looks up in surprise. Harry stands beneath the kitchen archway, all pigeon-toed and flushed. He wears his favorite pair of dark skinny jeans with distressed holes in the knees. His brown leather boots are short and worn-out. Louis looks at him with complete awe, eyeing him from head to toe. He's wearing a button-up floral blouse with pink roses. They match his lips and rosy cheeks. 

"You look beautiful," Louis says breathlessly.

Harry giggles shyly and brushes his curls out of his eyes. "Shut up."