Understanding

(Y/n)'s POV

It's been a few days since I finished Slender: The Arrival. I was planning to tell Ash about what I thought on it at school today, but she isn't here.

Now that I think about it I don't think I've heard anything from her since before I bought the game. I had texted her a few times throughout the okay through, but never got anything back.

Glancing at my phone screen as it was on my desk before home room started. There was my text I had sent as I asked her where she was. If she was sick she would have texted me before I even got to school that she wasn't feeling well.

My phone screen dimmed a little as I looked away and at her empty desk for a moment, and then back to the clock. Looking at my phone one last time as I read the text I send for the thousandth time, seeing that it was still delivered. Picking up my phone as I bounced my leg I put it into my bag and made sure that it was on silent. Deciding I'd check it whenever I get a chance.

Going through school was a pretty normal day. I listened to the teachers drone on and on about the lessons, some classes a few students were able to get them to talk about themselves. Making it where we were able to get out of a lesson.

Hearing the bell ring as it was time for lunch, I got up and hooked my bag over my shoulder, phone in hand. Walking into the hallway I stopped at my locker for my lunch and slowly made my way towards the cafeteria.

Getting into the doors of the cafeteria I had expected to see Ash at our table telling me that it was a prank to scare me into thinking the game was real and be all dramatic as she told me that Slender had taken her hostage.

Instead what I was met with was our table that was empty. Putting my things on the table and sitting down I opened my lunch and started to eat it while I took out some homework from earlier in the day.

Feeling as if I was being watched, I looked up and glanced around before I saw a flash of black in my peripherals and I straightened my back out try and see what it was. Deciding that it was a student wearing a leather jacket I went back to my homework.

Shaking off the feeling of being watched I focused on my work until the bell rang as lunch was over. Getting my things together and throwing out the bit of trash I had and headed to my next class. Checking my phone one more time I got through the rest of the school day.

Deciding to walk home instead of taking the bus or getting a ride, I sighed gently and walked along the side walk. My music was playing in my ears as I looked around as I walked.

Hearing some static for a moment but thinking it was my headphones acting up or a part of the song I ignored it. Reaching my block I sighed gently as I was almost home. I could finally get out of my school clothes and relax for a bit before I had to do a couple chores and then be able to sleep.

Walking up to my door as I went to use my key I found it was already unlocked. Raising a brow I stepped inside thinking my Mom was home early. Taking my headphones out as I got inside I slipped my shoes off at the door and walked inside. Calling for my mom I was met with the cold  silence.

Grabbing a drink from the fridge I made my way upstairs, hearing a faint static noise again as I walked up them. Shaking my head and rubbing my ear I furrowed my brows. I'll have to talk with my mom about my ears acting up. She'll probably tell me it's because of my headphones being too damn loud.

Putting my bag on my bed and getting changed I laid on my bed. Scrolling through a few things on my phone I heard a loud thumping noise. Sitting up quickly as I looked around, feeling my heart kick up in it's pace.

Looking around the room as I listened for the sound again, I heard it after an agonizing silence. Scrambling off of my bed I made my way down the stairs quickly. Thinking I had heard the sound before but couldn't place it, I went towards the window to see if any kids were being troublemakers.

Not seeing any kids in the streets I jumped from the window as I watched a flash of what I had believed to be a tall pale man in a suit.

"What in the hell?" I asked as I got back up to peek through the curtains only to have my face be met with his... No face. Screaming before I ran up the stairs and slammed the door to my room I looked around foe something to use against him but before I could I was shaken awake.

"(Y/n) honey, wake up."

Feeling hands tightly holding onto my arms, I opened my eyes to see my mom looking at me. She had a worried expression and was in her pajamas. Sitting on my bed she sighed gently as she was able to wake me up.

"What time is it?" I asked as I looked at the clock. She wrapped herself in her robe as she looked at me.

"It's three in the morning. You were screaming, are you alright?" She asked as I felt sweat bead in my forehead. Nodding gently as I swallowed hard I sat up and wiped my forehead.

"Yeah, I think so. It was just a nightmare. You can go back to bed." I said and she planted a kiss on my cheek after hesitating for a second, not believing my answer but accepting it anyway.

Watching her walk out of the room I looked around my bed for my phone. Trying to figure out what was the nightmare and what actually happened.

Scrolling through a few things I found that Ash still hadn't looked at my text. So that part was true, so why did I have that dream? Was I paranoid and still on edge from the game? That had to of been it. I couldn't have been being stalked by Slender in the real world. He's just a story. But if that were true, why did it feel so real and why haven't I heard anything from Ash?

~

Rewritten 6/20/21