XXXI: Brave New World

QOTC: Does it mean that I'm dead meaning I'm never gonna get to have kids? I barely have my period.

- Ino to Shikamaru

*************************************************************

Chapter 31: Brave New World

"Why are we here?"

It was a brightful Sunday morning, and it was windy outside despite the January heat. Fluffy clouds float from above, like they were a bunch of vanilla cotton candies and milk powder. Grass was even greenier the last time Platinum Blonde had been in here, as Ino glanced around her in bewilderment. She was wearing her informal clothing, an orange T-shirt and jean shorts Shikamaru wondered why women would even think of wearing those.

And yes, becoming an impure made her more attractive. Not that Ino acknowledged it that much, since she always considered herself sometimes as a star, where in most men would fall for her appeal. But the Ino now tended to avoid herself from the fame, since blood followed her wherever she went. Shikamaru on the other hand, felt a little relieved, amused at the same time. It was cute watching your girl best friend curse upon everything she's literally seeing.

And she was staring at his shuriken. She knew how little it could be as a weapon of choice, but it could easily cut on one's blood. Blood, she thought, and she remembered ever since the morning she hasn't eaten. "Cut the grin, Shika." She sighed. "I know how awful this sounds, but I can't stop thinking of blood."

He threw the cigar to the ground before grinding it with his foot. "Look above you."

Ino's eyes narrow upwards as the sun came into the view. "It's too bright," she said, using an arm to defend herself from the bright intense.

"You're an impure." He observed, "being sensitive to sun is one of the biggest perks."

"How come I don't burn constantly?"

"That's because you don't live in a world where in vampires spark in the sun. Take a look in your neck."

And she did, watching those three odd figures from her neck blaze in red tomoes. "Doesn't hurt that much." But she lied, because physical pain had always been different from sublimial agony. Shikamaru was taking off his vest when Ino suddenly asked, "so can I ask you a question? Supportive guy bestfriend vampire tutor?" She asked, staring at him.

"Well?"

"Does it mean that I'm dead meaning I'm never gonna get to have kids? I barely have my period."

Truth was, sometimes Ino thought she was weirdly better off with it. This morning when she first fed from a bloodbag, there were waves of energetic motion and an overcoming flow of vigor injected through her, like she was young again. And knowing how time must have frozen in her age, Shikamaru doubted the chances an impure could be infertile; the way he looked into her without channeling a word—a doleful, mourning sense of reperation. But Ino looked rather relief, as if freed from something she wanted to escape a long time ago.

Shikamaru looked considering. "Something tells me you like yourself better this way."

"I just think maybe this is the new version of me, and I like it." She grinned, sweet as a candy bar.

"What's so good of being a vampire?" He asked dryly.

"Oh come on, Shika, don't you get it?" She said, "I'm free. There's not a single thing I can offer my parents, except for the fact that I'm one lucky bitch who's running immortal and has no use for the clans anymore. I get to marry whoever I want."