Chapter Thirty Six

Tatum's POV

"So basically, what we can do is get your book on stands in two weeks." Simon concluded, picking up his mug and sipping whatever hot content was in it. 

"Two weeks?" I gasped. "That's so.... sudden. I mean, I just finished the book a month ago." 

"You don't want to have it up in two weeks?" His eyes became slightly bigger; was it that weird that I didn't want my book out so soon?

"No, it's not that. I mean, I would love for people to read it, it's just that-" I trailed off. 

"That..." he encouraged. 

"It's just that, what if people don't like it."  

I know, I know, why would I write a book with the intention that everyone will hate it? It was stupid to even think, of course a handful of people aren't going to like it because that's what happens in life.

But this was mine, really mine. My story, my writing, my life. I wanted people to feel it, understand it, relate to it. Nonetheless, it was typical love story- thousands of books were out there saying the same thing, over and over again. The star crossed high school lovers have a cliche romance, break up and then get back together. It was so predictable. And there were only so many characters and plots a reader can put up with. 

I was given a sympathetic smile as Simon got up and walked to the front of his desk, leaning against it. 

"Tatum, the book was excellent. Absolutely extraordinary! And that's coming from me- a grumpy older man who finds joy in making peoples lives miserable. If people don't like it, they are bloody lunatics." 

Giggling, my cheeks heated up, my eyes wandering to the floor. "Thanks." 

"I should be thanking you! This is going to be the first book we release from the new branch, I can only imagine where this is going to go!" He looked smug. Typical Simon Cowell, thinking the best of himself and his predictions. But, you've got to give the guy credit, he's a genius when it comes to the public's interests.

I expected the meeting to be done at that, but with only two weeks to go, we had to go over a lot more. The front cover, the back cover. The font, dedications, author's note, and small biography on the back. I was completely overwhelmed, but the ring I kept twisting on my left finger was able to settle me down. 

"So name, just Tatum Wister?" I hesitated before shaking my head. "Oh." Simone said, scribbling at what I assumed was my name. My old name.

"No, I was actually thinking of putting Tatum Carter as my name. You see, I just got engaged and..." 

"Oh! Congratulations, that is so lovely!" I nodded, blushing once again. "Excellent! So, whose the lucky man?"

"Um, I'm not sure if you know him, but Ryan Carter. He's the-"

"My number one accountant in America. Yes! What a lovely man! Great at what he does! I'm very pleased to hear that you two are in a relationship." He finished, a genuine smile plastered onto his face. "Tatum Carter it is, then." 

I wasn't sure why people perceive Simon as this cruel, obnoxious man. He is the sweetest, most caring boss I've ever had- and I'm not just saying that because he's been my only boss. 

"How did the two of you meet? I'm hoping it was through my company, some how. That would be quite the love story!" He chuckled. 

"Actually..." I trailed off, staring at the binder in my hands, filled with our entire story. I swallowed before lifting the binder a bit, "This is how we met." I said shaking the book a bit, to show what I meant.