Chapter Thirteen

Summer was different. We, my friends and I, knew it would be one of our lasts being crazy teenagers. The next summer we would have different friends from college, some of us might have jobs, our families could have moved, we could be studying abroad. It would be different. 

So, with that said, we made it the best summer ever. 

Water parks, amusement parks, beaches, road trips, movie nights, paint fights, pool parties, house parities, camping trips, hiking, BBQ's, the list went on and on of our summer activities. 

But as our minds became clear of new things to do and August approached, it was hard to push the thought of leaving away. 

My priorities for the summer were getting ready for the year to come. Buying all my books, getting everything for my dorm, stocking up on clothes, going to orientation. and finding out who my roommate is.

Gabby, my roommate, is from London. She is super sweet and absotlutely goregous. Lucky for me, I wouldn't have roommate issues. 

But that dreadful day came, and it wasn't just me leaving, but we all were. I was going to college.

-- 

This was worse than when Ryan left. I was clutching onto his body for dear life, hoping I would never have to let go. 

"Transfer to New Paltz." I sobbed into his shirt. 

A vibration rumbled through his body as he chuckled. "I'm sorry babe." His voice sympathetic, almost guilty. "We survived one year, we can do 4 more." He told me. 

My eyes went wide at the thought. Four more years. I could barely handle that one. That would mean endless goodbyes. 

"Are you questioning us?" Ryan whispered, kissing my forehead, pulling my body to his. 

'N-no" I stuttered, but not because I wasn't sure. I was sure of Ryan and I. It was the endless crying that had been going on for the past week that got my voice shaky and hoarse. 

"If it gets too hard you-" I cut Ryan off by smacking my lips to his. 

"Shut up." I mumbled in the kiss. 

"I love you." He whispered, lingering his lips on mine. "I love you so much. If you need any help with any work, I'm a phone call or a video chat away. Ok?"

I nodded, "I love you too. Miss you already." I said, offering a sad smile. He returned it, and slowly let go of my body. 

"Tatum! We have to go!" My mom urged at the end of the Carter's driveway. I could clearly see the many bags and boxes of stuff I was bringing up to New Paltz. 

I nodded towards her, turning my attention back to my boyfriend. "That's me." My eyes instantly filled with tears at the words. 

"No, don't do it." Despite Ryan's protest, 3 tears trickleded down my cheeks, causing more to fall. My vision became blury, but I could clearly see Ryan's face drop. His eyes became glassy and soon he was shedding tears as fast as me. "We are okay." He assured the both of us. "There is nothing to be sad for." 

"I love you." I croaked. 

"I love you too, Cupcake." I slightly smiled at the nickname, pecking his lips once more before reluctantly walking to the car. 

I made sure to wave out the window until Ryan, standing at the end of his driveway disappeared. 

"You ok?" My mom asked, turning around from the passenger seat. 

I shook my head no and let more tears escape my eyes. 

"It'll get better" She told me, reaching for my hand. I let her hold it for the whole hour car ride. 

-- 

"Room 434. Room 435. Aha! Room 436!" I almost kissed the ground in front of my door, but that would cause me to drop the millions of boxes and stuff in my arms which would probably be impossible to pick up. 

My family stood behind me, an equal amount of boxes in their arms as I struggled to open the door. I kept missing the key hole, letting muttered curses leave my lips. 

To my surprise, the door flew open and Gabby appeared. She was wearing yogo pants and a graphic t-shirt but still seemed to look like a Victoria's Secret model. Gabby was going into journalism too, she wanted to write for gossip websites, but not the fake stuff. She wanted to get "the real juicy drama" instead. 

"Dear lord, Tatum, did you bring your whole house with you?" She joked, a beautiful British accent mixed with her words. She rushed to my side, taking a few boxes from my arms and placing them on our floor. 

After unloading and unpacking all of the boxes, Gabby and I's dorm room was completely finished and clean. 

"Let's see how long you girls can keep this room clean." My dad joked. I gave a sarcastic laugh as Gabby gave an honest answer of 'once you leave, this room is going to look like a herd of elephants came running through.'

After teary goodbyes and a promise to call later tonight, my parents were gone and Gabby and I were sitting on our beds we would occupy for the next year, eating Oreos. 

"So, hows the boyfriend?" Gabby asked.

I frowned at the mention of Ryan. "He's going to Buffalo." I said, she nodded. I groaned, falling back into my pillow. "It's so far away." 

Gabby walked over to my bed, inviting herself to lay next to me. "If you guys really love each other, the distance wouldn't matter." 

"What are you saying? Of course we love each other! We spent a year apart last year!" Although the words may have sounded rude, I made sure to make my tone the opposite. 

"I'm just saying, you shouldn't be complaining. I mean, you are in bloody college. Forget about the boyfriend right now! Why don't we go get something to eat!" She offered, getting up and reaching out her hand. 

"We just ate half a thing of Oreos." I pointed out. 

"And now we are going to find something else to eat. Come on." She said, no longer waiting for me to put my hand in hers. 

"Hey Gabby?" I called, although she was only a foot away. 

"Yes, love?" 

"I'm excited for this year." She grinned, taking a step back to be inline with me and slinging her arm over my shoulder. 

"Thata girl! Now come on, I'm starving!" I grinned as we walked to the dining room, getting a plate of food and inviting ourselves to sit at a table with some other people from orientation. 

I made enough friends that day that would keep me sane for the next four years. As I stuffed my face with the guys and girls that just became a part of my life, I completely forgot about my Ryan doubts. I forgot about earlier, with all the tears. I forgot about my friends at home and my family. I just lived for now.

For the time being, I was stress free.