Fix

[The Next Day (Sunday)]

I lay in bed for hours after I wake up. I slept well, and I'm not tired, but I don't have the energy to bother getting up. I did manage to manoeuvre myself so I could grab my phone at one point, and I'm checking it every five minutes basically.

Speaking of it, I pick up my phone and hold it up in front of my face. I turn it on and type the password in with only one finger, and click to my messages. Nothing.

I sigh, and put it back on my bed next to me. I had really hoped that Dustin would call me, text me, or at least make some sort of sign that I was doing the wrong thing. I don't know what I was expecting, he hasn't talked to me in so long and he's made it pretty obvious that he wants nothing to do with me.

I couldn't get rid of the underlying guilt that was eating me out from the inside though. Sure Dustin didn't want me to help him, but was just abandoning him the right thing to do? Especially at a time like this!? For God's sake I just saw that he had cut himself, on purpose or by accident, but he still did it.

I punch the wall. 'Why can't I get anything right!? I need to help him, whether he wants me too or not. I need to make sure he's going to be alright before possibly never talking to him again. I may not be it now, but I was his best friend, and I care about him more than anyone. I'm so stupid!'

I sit up and swing my legs over the side of the bed. I grab my phone and press Dustin's number. I hold the phone to my ear as it rings.

'Please, please, please let me talk to you Dustin. Just this once. I made such a huge mistake.'

But the call goes to voicemail. And I hear the message that I now have memorised play again. When it ends, I don't miss a beat.

"Dustin. It's me again. Listen, I want you to ignore everything I said in the message I left you last night. I was tired, I wasn't thinking. I'm not leaving you alone in a time like this. I'm going to fix the mistakes I made. Dustin... I still care about you more than anyone else, and I'm not throwing those feelings away. Call me or text me. If you don't, I will not hesitate to come to your house. I don't care if you hate me, I'm going to help you, no matter what you might say or do. And, if you're not going to do it for me, do it for everyone else you know and love."

I sigh as I end the message. I'm going to give him three hours, and if he doesn't respond I'm going to his house. I'm going to make this better, or die (that's an exaggeration) trying.

I constantly check my phone as I get dressed and have something to eat. Nothing. I send Dustin a few more texts, not expecting him to answer them, but I send them anyways.

An hour passes. I can't sit still. I keep fidgeting whenever I'm doing something.

Another hour. I can't focus on anything right now, my mind is completely filled with thoughts about Dustin. I can't help but feel like something bad had happened.

One more hour goes by. I'm trying my best not to panic. Dustin doesn't know that I only gave him three hours to contact me, but I still keep thinking of the worst-case scenarios.

I try to give him more time, but I can't take it anymore. I'm extremely worried now, and I just want to see him again.

The weather looks nice today, besides a slight wind, so I don't bother throwing on my boots or a big jacket. My sweater will do. I find my brother and tell him where I'm going, and that I'll (if everything goes smoothly) be back soon.

I double-check my phone one last time and, after seeing nothing from Dustin, step outside and walk down the street.

My pace is brisk as I half-jog to his place, mostly from my wanting to get there, but also because it's a lot colder than I originally thought.