Chapter 6

A week after Nick's death...a week before school would end for summer vacation....was the funeral. It was upsetting for everyone. Nick's parents had me sit with them during the service because they said I was like part of the family. Nick really did love me. He talked nonstop about me. The police played the message for his parents...the one where he was murdered. After that, his parents made me promise them that I'd come around once in a while to visit them. I'm glad they still like me after what happened. They're sweet people. I'd do anything for them.

The day after the funeral, I went back to school. I didnt want to, but my parents thought it would make me feel better. I took my time getting ready. I didn't care if I was late for school. What was the point? Nick, the only person who liked me, was gone...well, besides Dan, but we arent really that close. I had 10 minutes before school started, and I was still putting on my make up.

"Holly, hurry up. You have finals today, remember?" mom said through the door. Oh no. I forgot about finals. If I'm not there on time, I won't be able to take them! I rushed to get ready and I was out the door in seconds. Dad drove me, and I had about a minute before the bell would ring. I walked...almost ran...to my first class for the final. I was almost to the stairs when someone came around the corner and in ran into them. The person caught me before I fell and the bell rang, meaning first period started.

"Woah. That was completely my fault. I'm sorry." I slowly looked up at the person's face, when I recognized THAT voice...the same voice on the voicemail, the voice that killed Nick. It was the security guard who's been staring at me ever since the beginning of the year. The same one who lent me his jacket and his phone.

"What did you say?" I asked nervously, making sure it was the same voice.

"I'm sorry?" he repeated in the same tone, the same voice as the one on the voicemail. It all made sense. He killed Nick. He wasn't in the gym during the murder, no one could prove exactly where he was, he was just around the corner when they found Nick's body...I should've known it as him. I stared at him with fear. He looked nervous. "Ummmm...are you okay?"

My breathing started to get heavy and rapid. The security guard noticed how scared I was and got even more nervous. He knew that I knew he killed Nick. I started running running away. I heard heavy footsteps running after me, making me panic even more. Why isn't there anyone around when hese things happen!?!?! The footsteps got louder and closer until the security guard caught me and pinned me against the wall of lockers. I was crying in terror. The security guard brought his hand up and wiped away my tears. His touch made me flinch.

"Listen to me." he stated. "I did it to protect you. You'll thank me sooner or later. Youre NOT going to tell anyone what I did. Understand?"

"Why did you do it? Protect me from what?"

"I couldn't let him hurt you again. Holly, he would've cheated on you again. I didn't want him in your life."

"That's not for you to decide!" I cried.

"I love you, Holly. And I if can't have you, nobody can."

"How do you know my name? Why are you sending me texts?! Why me?!? I haven't done anything!"

The security guard's eyes filled with sorrow and he got tense. "Let's get you to class. " he said grabbing my arm. I pulled away from him.

"No. I'm not going anywhere with you! I'm telling the cops! You're not getting away with this!"

He stepped towards me again and I turned around to run. He caught me and pulled me back. "You can't prove I did it. They aren't gonna believe you. I have credibility in this school. They trust me. You're not gng to tell anyone about this.".

"Or what?" I said provoking him, even though I knew he was right. No one would believe me. No one would believe a student accusing a security guard who's been loyal for god knows how long.

"You don't want to know. Now lets go.". He pulled my arm again and this time I didn't resist. He brought me to class and he got the teacher to excuse me for being late and I was able to take the final...not like I was able to concentrate on it. I knew who murdered Nick, but i couldn't tell anyone. There's no telling what that security guard might do or who'll hell hurt next.

The rest of the week, the security guard acted said nothing happened. I tried avoiding him at all costs, but he kept popping up everywhere.everywhere I went, he watched me. When school finally ended, I felt relieved. I was finally able to relax without that creepy security guard watching my every move.

A couple weeks into summer, the house next door was sold and the new neighbors were moving in. my parents though it would be a nice idea to go ovr and introduce ourselves and welcome them to the neighborhood. I was still in grieving and didn't want to go, but my parents forced me. We went over to the next house and rang the doorbell. A tall figure appeared behind the screen door. I couldn't see what the person looked like since the sun was in my eyes.

"Hello. May I help you?" a familiar manly voice asked.

"yes. We live right next door and we brought you some chocolate chip cookies over to welcome Otto the neighborhood. I'm Debra, this is my husband Dale, and this sweet girl right here..." my mom pulled threw her arm around me. "...is my daughter Holly.". I decided to look up from the ground and I regret doing so. My mouth dropped when I saw him.

"Hello Holly" he smiled at me.

"Holly close your mouth." mom scolded.

"It's quite alright m'am. I think she's just in shock because I work at her school."

"oh. You're a teacher?"

"No. Security guard." he corrected.

"Oh that's wonderful. Now at least we know there's someone next door to protect us if anything happens." my mom said excitedly. Little did she know, he was dangerous. "So do you have a wife? Any kids?"

He shook his head. "No. Just me."

"In this big house? Why don't you come over for dinner? Im sure you could use a nice home cooked meal after all this moving and unpacking. Let's say 6:30?" mom just invited Nick's murderer over for dinner. I looked at her with wide eyes. "Holly, it's not like I'm inviting one of your teachers over. He's our neighbor."

"Id love to join you all for dinner. 6:30, right'?"

"yep. We'll see you then."

"alright. See you later. Bye Holly." he waved to me and then closed the door as we were walking back to our house. I looked up at one of his windows, where I found him looking out at us. He saw me catch him, and he quickly got away from the window. "Dale, he seems nice. You two seem like youll be good friends."

Ha! Nice? He practically threatened me!!!!!!!!! Ugh!!!!