Chapter 5

The next morning I turned n the news. My school was the main story.

'Last night at John f. Kennedy high school in Dimentia, New York, a student was found murdered outside the gym during the school's junior prom. As of now, the police have no suspects. Nicholas Livingston was a junior at the school. He had attended prom with his girlfriend who's name has been disclosed due to her age. The police officially ruled out the girlfriend as a suspect last night after witnesses had seen her inside the gym at the time of the murder. She initially was suspected of committing the murder after reports of her catching him making out with another girl, but is no longer suspected and his back home with her parents. We can all feel the impact the murder has had on this community. A night that started out happy and fulfilled turned to horror and now a killer is on the loose. This is channel 13 news. Be safe and keep watch.'

I turned off the tv. Mom and dad let me stay home from school today, due to the circumstances. Mom made a big breakfast with pancakes, bacon, sausage, and hot chocolate. But I couldn't eat anything. Dad went out somewhere...I didn't ask where. I'm too upset to care. My first boyfriend was murdered!!! Can life get any worse?!?!?!

"I'm back" dad called. "Holly, here. I got you a new phone." he handed me a new expensive phone. One of those smartphones.

"Thanks dad. But I don't want it." I said, sadly.

"baby girl, I know your upset right now, but take it. Just in case your ever in trouble and no one's there to help."

I took the phone and dad went go help mom wash dishes. I turned it on decided I should figure out how it works. As soon as I turned it on, a notification popped up telling me I had a voicemail. I punched in my password and listened to Nick's voice speak.

'Holly, if you won't talk to me, then listen. Please. I'm sorry. I wasnt thinking. Mandy got inside my head and I fell for her tricks. When I kissed her, I felt nothing. No sparks like I feel when I kiss you. Holly....I love. I've loved you since I first laid my eyes on you. The first day of kindergarten, when you walked into the classroom and took a seat away from everyone else. I wanted to go sit by you so badly, but my friends all said you were weird and convinced me not to. I've been following the crowd ever since then, but decided to break away when I asked you to prom. Tonight, I accidentally fell back in with the crowd, but now I'm out. I don't care what people think of you. All that matters is what I think of you. And I think that you're an amazing girl, you're beautiful, smart, and just wow. I love you Holly Anderson. Please forgive me? I'll keep asking you until you do. I'll tell you I lo-" he stopped talking and it sounded like he dropped his phone. "No...please." I heard him beg. Then I heard the sound of flesh being stabbed. I gasped and heard a thud. Then I heard someone pick up the phone from the ground and heard them breathing. "I'm sorry" I heard a man say. I've heard that voice before...but where? Then the message ended and I was left crying, traumatized by what I had just heard...Nick's murder and his killer's voice. Thes were Nick's last words. He confessed his love for me and died.

I screamed for my parents. I blood curdling scream, which made them come running. "What happened?" dad asked defensively.

I held up my phone. I was shaking. "N-nick l-left me a-a message and I-I...h-he...w-was k-killed and...and I h-heard him g-get k-killed." i cried.

"We have to take it to the police right away. Let's go now." dad said in a hurry. We all gathered in the car and drove down to the police station. I played the message for the police, which they recorded and thanked us. I will never forget that voice at the end of the message. 'I'm sorry' played throughout my head the entire time. I know I've heard that voice before. I just can't remember who it belonged to. Then as me and my parents were driving home, I got a text. Unknown.

'I'm srry, but it had 2 b done. I couldnt let him hurt u again'

Nick's murderer was the one texting me? Why? Why is this happening to me?!