In Which Dean Is Trapped

{Dean's POV}

I pressed my head to the window of the car the entire drive home, just trying to make the voice stop it's screeching. Sam kept shooting me worried looks from the driver's seat. Cas opted to go the whole way in the back with me, but I wished he would have left me alone. He touched my hand at one point, only to have me jerk it away. I knew that I was hurting him, but I couldn't let the Mark win. It kept taunting me: it wanted me to get closer to Cas. I couldn't do it, though; I had to fight every instinct inside me that wanted to be comforted by my boyfriend.

The second we got to the bunker, I went to my room and locked the door. It would keep Cas out, but Sam knew how to pick locks. I just needed to buy some time, not keep them out forever.

Oh, just give it up, Dean. You can't keep this up forever. You can't fight me forever.

"Yes," I hissed under my breath, "I can. If that's what I need to do, I'll do it."

A distant laughing filled my head, bringing me to my knees. My arm started to burn, as if someone was holding a branding iron to it. Soon, I passed out from the pain.

~~~

When I came to, I could vaguely hear someone calling my name. I stood up, clutching my arm, then my head. I heard footsteps coming down the hall, so I stopped my progress towards the door.

"Dean?"

It was Sam.

"Man, listen. I don't know what's going on with you, but Cas is pretty worried. Why won't you answer him? Whatever. Just come out so you can eat, and we'll worry about everything else later. Alright?"

He waited, presumably for me to respond or open the door. When I didn't, he sighed.

"Dean? I'll pick this lock and barge in there if you don't answer me."

"Okay," I told him, sitting in front of the door. "Please don't open the door. I have to be alone right now. I- I can't explain right now. Just don't tell Cas anything. Or, actually, tell him that I'm alright and that I just need some rest or something. I'll come eat later."

I paused.

"Sammy, this is serious. I can't be around you guys or something bad might happen."

"Something bad? Dean, is it the Mark?"

I nodded, "Yeah. But I don't want Cas to worry. I've got it all under control, so just go eat. Keep Cas sane for me, alright?"

"Okay," my brother said.

That was the last time I heard from him for the next few days. I'm not sure what he was doing, but according to Cas, who talked to me through my door, Sam locked himself away too. I wanted to unlock the door and bring Cas into my arms, but I knew I couldn't. I spent the next week or so fighting against the Mark. I almost lost a few times too. I almost chased after Cas to do whatever the voice wanted me to do to him. I almost killed him a few times.

But I won out.

Well, I was still locked inside my bedroom, hiding from my brother and boyfriend. But I guess at that point in my life, I had won.

For the time being.