In Which He Returns

{Dean's POV}

You know that life would be better off without him, so why are you fighting it? Just kill him and you can be normal again. I know that's what you really want.

"No!" I yelled, trying once again to block the voice by pressing my hands over my ears. Once again, my attempts were futile. "Just leave me alone!"

The floor creaked near me, and I jumped, pulling my hands away from my head.

It was Cas.

He was standing a few feet away from where I was curled against the wall.

"Dean, are you alright? What happened?"

He knelt down and brought me into a hug.

"Dean?"

I didn't answer him, too afraid to speak. The voice hadn't spoken up since Cas appeared, and I didn't want to tempt it by talking.

"Please talk to me, Dean. Please." He pulled away from the hug, sitting in front of me. "I need to know what's going on." His eyes were begging me to reply, but I couldn't bring myself to. It was so nice to have Cas's voice filling my head, rather than the Mark's. I just wanted to hear him talk.

"Sam is waiting in the car. Come on, let's go home."

"I can't," I finally responded. "I can't go with you guys."

"Why not?"

Yeah, Dean, why not?

"I can't be anywhere near you two. I love you guys and being near me is dangerous."

You think that you're going to kill him, don't you? You know, I'm only bringing out what's already inside you. These feelings are already here. Yes, they're a little buried, but they are here, nonetheless.

"I don't want to hurt you again," I whimpered. I was crying, so Cas hugged me again.

"You won't hurt me," Cas mumbled into my shoulder, his voice muffled by the fabric of my shirt.

"How do you know?"

"I just do. Please, come home." His arms tightened around me. "We can figure everything out later. Just come home."

Yeah, Dean. Go home. You can figure everything out later. Go home.

I didn't trust a word the Mark was saying, but I did want to go home. "Alright. Let's go."

And it may have been my imagination, but I thought I heard someone laughing as we walked out to where Sam was waiting.