Chapter 3, Revelation: no faith

Chapter two, revelation: no faith

Lucas lit the bonfire, grinning as the fire spread throughout the wood. He looked so completely happy in that split second that I could’ve burned the islands down just to see them burn in his eyes like the bonfire had.

The music had been playing for a while, but I saw some teenagers messing with the stereo on the beach, I figured they were going to change the songs.

And they did. And they made it louder. The music nearly made me want to dance.

Everyone laughing on the beach seemed so happy. I watched as they danced around the fire, forcing Lucas to join the circle of unavoidable happiness.

“Eustatia definitely know how to party.” Phoenix appeared by side. I nodded, remembering the first time I’d met Phoenix.

“They must’ve learned from the best,” I smirked, turning to him, the alcohol limply in my hands.

He laughed, and it surprised me. I hadn’t seen Phoenix laugh since… well, since Elizabeth had died. And that was a very long time ago.

He laughed even harder at my expression and then took another swig from his bottle. Well, if getting him drunk was the only way to lighten him up, we better take some alcohol with us to Necker.

“Elizabeth hated me for it.” He chuckled, looking out over the beach and his eye landing on Lucas. I followed his stare, and my eyes did the same. He looked like he was being forced to play a drinking game.

He glanced over at me and Phoenix and grimaced. We both laughed quietly. “I know.”

There was a minute of silence between us, and the air became heavier with each second. I was aware we were treading on very dangerous conversations. We hadn’t spoke of Elizabeth together.

We both watched Lucas was grabbed by an old woman, and spun around by her surprisingly strong arms. He seemed to have given up with putting up a fight.

“He,” Phoenix started to say, but then thought about it and closed his mouth. I turned away from the beach and towards him. He drank from his practically empty drink. “He worries about you.”

I frowned, and managed to sip my own drink. I couldn’t drink too much, because god knows what I’d say if I was telling the islands of the queen while I was drunk.

He laughed, placed his bottle down on the table behind us finally and ignored me. “Worries?” I pressed further.

But Phoenix had long but moved on. “He just cares about you a hell of a lot, I guess.” His eyes became restless as they darted around, looking for something. Someone.

I sighed as he began to become stressed.

“Where is she?” He asked, turning to me abruptly. He looked angry, like I’d done something to hurt him.

“Dead.” I said simply, like I had every time he’d asked previously. Lucas told me that Phoenix was getting better, but I didn’t see any recovery signs. He was damaged goods, and we had no superglue.

He stood quietly for a moment, looking at his feet. He looked so deep in thought he could’ve been in a different world. Then, in sudden movements, he spun around, knocked his bottle to the floor and became his wolf.

I stood and watched as the wolf looked around frantically, breathing as if it’d just ran the whole perimeter of the island.

I closed my eyes and listening to the thudding of his paws as he disappeared into the trees behind us.