Chapter 5, Revelation: I could

Chapter four, revelation: I could.

We’d expected the queen to attack within the week.

We didn’t expect her to attack the day after we’d arrived at Necker, though.

Lucas and I had slept in different sides of the island. Him protecting the weapons and important things that would be worth a few lives. I had taken my little group to sleep in the trees as wolves.

When I awoke, I shifted.

The sun was still a warm orange colour and seeping through the trees when I decided I had to go say something to Lucas. We had to be together.

And at around 6 am, helplessly stumbling through the bulging forest bare feet, I felt ready.

The forest was thicker than Eustatia’s. There were more trees and bushes and all sorts of green living things.

But as I emerged from the treeline, there was an unnatural sound filling the air.

I looked around, and behind the buildings that looked out of place, there were black dots filling the skies.

It took me a while to figure out what they were.

And when I did, I realised I wasn’t ready at all. I stopped breathing.

The queen.

She was coming. “No!” I cried to myself, immediatly running back into the forest, screaming at the top of my lungs to awake the others. When I found them hidden in the growth, they were all still wolves. “Shift dammit!” I yelled, throwing my fists at the nearest thing, that happened to be the hardest trunk I’d ever felt.

One by one they emerged into their human forms.

I had to catch my breath and leant on the trunk while they watched me with confused looks. I shouldn’t be wasting time.

“She’s here.” I whispered.

They didn’t reply, they just looked at me like I was crazy. But suddenly the sounds of the aircrafts coming to wreck us filled the winds. “She’s,” I closed my eyes and forced the tears back down, “here.”

“We’re ready.” Phoenix put his hand on my shoulder. And in a way, he was right, our plan was ready the moment we’d perfected it. We didnt need to prepare.

But Lucas’s wasn’t. He probably didn’t know they were here. The buildings were soundproof. “Lucas!” I screamed, turning back around and forcing myself to ignore the pain on the bottom of my feet.

“Cathy! Our plan!” Vinny shouted but I couldn’t hear him over the wind rushing into my ears. I shifted into my wolf, because it was faster to run that way.

My feet and cotton night dress were replaced with paws and fur.

Panting, I ran with the road, wondering why he’d chosen the furthest building from the forest. The machines in the sky were getting dangerously close and it drove me to run quicker than I ever had.

I saw the building ahead of me, standing firmly and peacefully, unaware of the attack.

It was then that the floor shook. The planes had landed. All at once.

Faster. Faster.

I got to the doors and shifted again. My choice of clothes for the night hadn’t been wise.

“Lucas!” I shouted once I was into the doors. I ran up the stairs, shouting his name over and over again. “Lucas!” I was running out of breath. I knew too well that I wasn’t even half way up.