Chapter 19, Revelation: Welcome to the team

“Do you think I’m dumb, Cathy?” Lupa sat at the table, her hands curled and her eyebrows raised. It was sometime past breakfast and she’d insisted to talk to me in private. We were sat in the lunch cafeteria munching on grapes, because sitting alone without purpose looked very suspicious.

“Pardon?” I asked, then gasping because it seemed being around my mother too much had rubbed off on me. Lupa saw my internal embarrassment and laughed, popping a grape into her mouth.

“No one can follow you? Not even Lucas? Come on, Cathy, just because the others know you as an alpha doesn’t mean I don’t remember you as an omega. I’m not letting you do it.” I knew what she saying, I knew she knew. She knew I dreamt of flying away. She knew I wanted to burn the walls of Necker Island.

“I don’t know what you mean.” I tried my best to look ignorant, picking a grape of its little branch and looking down at my fingers. My mom had insisted I painted them gold.

“You do. I’m not dumb. And neither are you, Cathy, but there are other ways.” She had lost all interest in the grapes and was now leaning towards me with her elbows on the table. I leant back in my chair. She could see right through me.

“If there were other ways do you think I’d really do this?” I whispered, still playing around with the grapes in my hands. I picked them all of their branches until I was just holding the wood that looked like a tiny tree. But then it started to look like veins. The veins of my people. Eustatia’s veins. I put the branches down and picked up another grape, rolling it around on my fingertips.

“We will find another way.” Lupa picked up a stray grape. I shook my head. “Cathy. Do you think Lucas will let you do that?”

“He won’t know.” I whispered, still admiring the grape and not meeting her eyes.

“I’ll tell him. God dammit, Cathy, I’ll tell him!” She raised her voice slightly, but it was nothing in this hall of echoes and chatter between people who had shouts for whispers.

I kept shaking my head. She kept trying to argue with me. I didn’t say anything for a while, and neither did she. There were tears in my eyes.

“I have to save them.” I said, regaining my posture and my confidence. “You know what it’s like being an Alpha, Lupa. If you were in my position, you’d do the same thing.”

And then eventually, she nodded. She wiped a tear from her eye, too.

“If you see Lucas soon tell him we miss him.” She said as she stood up, eating the last grape on the table.

“I’ll tell him you’ll be seeing him soon.” I replied, finally eating the grape I’d had in my fingers and standing up. I walked away before she could process what I had said.

“I can’t be locked up like this!” Was the shouting I heard next, walking towards the air loft centre. I turned on my heel, recognising the pain in his voice. “You don’t need me, just kill me already!” No. No. Lucas. No.

I ran over to the door in which was surrounded by gaurds all trying to contain him in a brawling mess. His eyes were puffy and red, but not crying. He was pale, but not sick.

“Lucas!” I pushed my way through the guards, practically throwing them away from me.

He was on his knees, being held by a guard from his underarms. He was out of breath, his head hanging. He didn’t look up to meet my eyes.

“I’m sorry, miss, he attacked.” The guard looked guilty, scared of me nearly.

I ignored him and fell to my knees too, wrapping my arms around the empty boy in front of me. “Lucas.” I whispered into his ear, stroking the back of his head. I missed him so much.