Chapter 12, Revelation: two children

{ hi again! }

Chapter twelve, revelation: two children

As soon as the plane landed on Greenland, I knew I was being stupid.

The queen was this big bad, supposedly undefeatable villain and I was meant to be the underdog that overcomes her and wins. But I already had won, right? I’d escaped her plans to kill me. Well, I thought that meant I won.

But that wasn’t winning. That was just not losing. Not winning. Not losing.

And this big, stupid game isn’t over yet. So when does it end?

When I die?

Well, judging by the way I was going it looked like it would all end pretty soon.

“Welcome home,” She said, swaying into my room like she had just been to heaven and back. Hah, the queen in heaven? Good one.

For a moment I was frozen. I didn’t want to do this anymore. I wanted to fight for what was right. And I knew what was right now. I was right.

But I didn’t want to die. I didn’t want Lucas to die. And if I were to blurt out my defiance right now, she could click her fingers and take so many lives.

I gulped. I was going to have to pretend. And I was going to have to suck it up until I managed to find a way to destroy the information linking Eustatia to Necker.

I took a deep breath and smiled.

She handed me a fur coat, probably werewolf fur- most likely one of her friends that double crossed her. I put it on cautiously and followed her down the corridor. Some soldiers surrounded us and walked with us. I didn’t see any of my guys there.

“Cathy!” It was a piercing scream, and I half expected it to be Lupa. But it was Lucas, running like a wild animal towards us.

Unfortunately, guards got to him before he got to me- but he still struggled against them as if he could still do it. He looked a little crazed.

“Where’s you’re fight?!” He shouted, and I cowered behind the queen. Part of me hid because I wanted to show the queen I was lawfully on her side, and the other part hid because he looked pretty scary. “Where’s Cathy?! You’re not Cathy!”

The queen turned to me slightly, and raised her eyebrows. I think she was asking me indirectly what we should do with him.

“Don’t hurt him just yet.” I managed to say without sounding too emotional. I looked at him then, and wanted so badly to just tell him. The feelings that passed through as mates were clear. He knew I felt trapped, and he knew I had no choice. But he didn’t know that I wasn’t just blindly following the queen.

“You have a choice!” He shouted, as I expected. “You can still fight!”

And I shook my head slightly, looking to the ground.

“Alright, take him away now.” The queen waved her hand like she was almost tired of seeing me like this. I was a little honoured she would even think of me, and I was maybe even warming to her.

No.

I was lead off the plane into what seemed a deserted mountain topped with endless snow. My eyes watered at first at the blinding whiteness but after a few seconds they got used to it. And from the shining snow, appeared a door on the side of the mountain.

I looked down, and at first I saw snow, but then it hit me. The ground was tarmac, but it was painted white. I laughed to myself, did I think that a plane this big had landed on the side of a mountain? The white painted tarmac led all the way to the door, where it stopped and then actual snow carried on the path.