Chapter 7

Chapter 7 -- Brenda's POV

I opened the door on my front porch quietly.

I knew that my parents are both tired and probably sleeping by now. I tip-toed past the dining area and the living room, and up to my cozy bedroom. I was about to enter my room until, "Brenda? Is that you?"

"Yes, mom," I replied. "I came from Cecile's house."

"Oh good! Come in our room. Your Ba Ba and I need to talk to you about something very important."

I obeyed my mom. I entered my parents' room which was across mine. Inside, my mom was knitting and my Ba Ba was watching Chinese television. Inside their room were many Chinese related statues. The Buddha, the Dragon, and a lot more. You see, my Ba Ba was a China man. He came all the way from Shanghai. When he was barely a year old, my Ye Ye and Nai Nai migrated to the States. He grew up here but his lifestyle is like as if he grew up in China all his life. My mom, on the other hand, was 1/2 American and 1/2 Puerto Rican. That is why I consider my mother as the most beautiful woman in the world. I gave them both a kiss on the cheek and asked them what's so important that they need to tell me. "We're moving away," my mom said.

"What?! We're moving away?!" I said in shock.

"Yes, Brenda," my Ba Ba said. "We cannot afford to pay all of our debts so the bank came and took the house. Your mom and I found new entertainer jobs in Washington, D.C."

"And you get to attend an all-girls private school because our new boss agreed to pay for your tuition!" My mom exclaimed happily.

"Where will we live then?" I asked.

"Oh, your Ba Ba and I would be given a small apartment near the club we will be performing in every night. And you will stay in the school's dormitory. Don't worry, you get to visit us every Sunday," my mom replied.

"When do we leave?" I asked again.

"The bank gave us until December 24 to finish packing and finalizing other documents, and we have to evacuate the place by December 25, which is also the day we fly to D.C., we fly in the evening." Ba Ba said. "Now go to your room, honey. I know it's hard, but look at the bright side. Your mom and I get higher pay, and we can buy you more things that you want. You've always wanted a dog right? We'll get you one if you want."

I walked out of my parents' room still in shock, and entered my room. I sat down on my bed and logged in Facebook. I made a group chat and told my best friends the heartbreaking news.

***

"You're moving away?!" Sam typed.

"Yeah, I am. I'm leaving on the 25th," I replied with a sad emoticon.

"But what about our robbery?" Jaz asked.

"We can move it to the 25th," said Cecile.

"How? That's when I'm leaving," I replied to all 3.

"You said you're leaving in the evening, so we can do the robbery in the afternoon, and try to finish it before Brenda's flight," Cecile typed back.

"Oh, ok. Is that the only way? No other solution to getting your house back?" Jasmine asked.

"I already told you, the bank took the house away this morning, and our deadline is on December 24."

"We'll really miss you, Bren!" Sam typed.

"Same here!" Jaz replied with a crying emoticon.

"Ditto!" Cecile said.

"You guys are the best friends a girl could ever have! I'll never forget you guys when I leave," I told them.

"We'll visit you every vacation!" Jaz said. "And let's steal things together!"

"You guys can continue stealing without me. It's ok," I said.

"We wouldn't without you," Cecile replied.

"Yes, because once a Sweetheart, always a Sweetheart," Sam said. "And we never do our job if one Sweetheart is missing."

"I love you guys!" I sent and logged off and went straight to bed.