Chapter 8

My whiskers twitched as a warm breeze blew over the moors. My eyes flickered open and I saw a clear blue sky. It was completely cloudless with the warm sun shining down onto the grass below. Everything felt so peaceful with Flintpaw laying by my side. His chest rose and fell slowly. 

I watched the suns reflection on the lake. After a few moments I heard splashes in the distance to my right. I whipped my head around and squinted int he direction of the river. Four short and muscular cats were wading through the river from ThunderClans side. They walked in our direction. I didn't know if they had seen us yet but I wasn't going to take any chances.

"Flintpaw! Flintpaw!" I hissed while shaking his lean body.

He raised a paw and pushed me away, turning in the other direction. 

I sighed and tried to think of something to do. I grabbed Flintpaw's scruff and dragged him towards a small drop-off. I closed my eyes and jumped off, taking Flintpaw with me. 

It only took a second to hit the icy lake water. Flintpaw woke up in a second and gasped when he realized we were in the lake. I started paniking and splashing, I had no idea how to swim. Flintpaw swam over and grabbed my scruff keeping my head out of the water. Inbetween my choking I manage to say, "Hide. ThunderClan. Intruders."

Flintpaw flew into action, he swam me to a cave under the drop-off. I coughed as I tried to getair into my water filled lungs. Flintpaw hit my back making me cough out a mouthful of water. I quited down and pricked my ears listening for any movement above.

Quiet meowing started becoming clearer.

"Litchenstar shouldn't have sent us here!" A young voice mewed.

"I know! I heard that WindClan cats are as tall as badgers!"

I almost snorted at the frightened mewling of the young ThunderClan mewling.

"Badgers?" An older cat meowed. "You've never seen a badger in your life and that cat that told you that, I can guarantee, hasn't seen a WindClan cat before."

I heard no more voicesso judging by how young the apprentices were, we could take them. By the look on Flintpaw's face I could tell he was thinking the same thing. I nodded to him and we started to climb up to the grassy moors.

Flintpaw was ahead of me. I watched his tail flick with anticipation and then suddenly it went rigid. He made a slow motion with his tail to show me he was going to jump. I was ready too. As soon as he leaped up, I did the same.

There were three broad shouldered cats in front of us. The senior warrior of the patrol was shorter then me so Flintpaw towered over the dark brown tom. The two apprentices were likely denmates. They were both had cream-and-ginger fur and pale green eyes. The smaller she-cat whimpered. The tom, who was obviously smarter turned and ran with his tail tucked inbetween his legs.

"Creampaw!" The she-cat screeched after him.

"Berrypaw, stay with me." The dark brown tom ordered.

Berrypaw shrunk back behind him. "Okay Owlfeather."

I was stretching my legs so I looked taller and my fur was puffed out so I looked tougher. My lips drew back to show my sharp teeth. Fear even flickered in Owlfeather's eyes.

"You shouldn't have come here," Flintpaw growled "we don't want any trouble on our territory so just leave and no one gets hurt."

Owlfeather narrowed his eyes and Berrypaw hissed. "I don't take orders from mangy WindClan apprentices!" Owlfeather replied.

All WindClan warriors and apprentices had learned new ways of silent communication like a flick of a tail or a shake of a paw. None of us had mastered all of the different movements but Flintpaw and I knew the basics. I turned my ears back two times which meant: What do we do now? All I could do was hope that Flintpaw had seen it.

Luckily Flintpaw recognized my ear movements but Berrypaw saw it too. She tilted her head and looked from my ears to Flintpaws thinking expression. My insides filled with panic. Would Berrypaw say something or was she not sure I had done something? To my relief she didn't say anything.

Suddenly Flintpaw threw himself right at Owlfeather with a huge screech. Berrypaw turned tail and ran straight for the border. I was frozen in shock until Owlfeather grabbed onto Flintpaws scruff and shook him back and forth. I knew I had to help and jumped onto owlfeathers muscular back. My claws dug into his pelt and he let go of Flintpaw. Owlfeathers paw came out of nowhere and wacked the side of my head. His claws whipped across my face. Blood welled up in my eyes and I could hardly see.

Flintpaw gasped and leaped to my side. "Lavenderpaw!" He mewed.

I was so lightheaded and only when I felt grass on my face did i notice that I had fallen. A loud commotion was going on next to me while I choked on the taste of blood in my mouth. Was this the end? It couldn't be! I have a destiny from StarClan, I can't die now! But I'm so tired... My eyes closed and I drifted into a deep sleep.