Chapter 19

A moon passed since the patrol to ThunderClan. Not one cat from that Clan has stepped paw on our territory since we went over there. Some cats feel proud while others think that ThunderCaln may be planning something. I'm sort of neutral when it comes to that subject. I'm not really sure what to think.

The gathering was the same as usual. No Clan showed up. The tree bridge is on WindClan territory and I'm pretty sure no one feels like going through another Clan's land, especially when there's a giant battle going on.

I had been an apprentice for four moons now. There's no certain time limit until you can become a warrior but it's usually six moons so that meant I only had two moons to go! But that also meant Shadepaw had been in camp for almost four moons straight.

Shadepaw was not doing well these days. She was so skinny that you could feel all her bones if you rubbed against her. Her whiskers were bent at odd angles and her fur was thin. Lilyfeather tried to feed her more food but I sometimes caught Shadepaw hiding small pieces whenever Lilyfeather glanced away. One thing that our mother was very good at was never letting Shadepaw get knots or dirty fur. Shadepaw had a thin pelt but it always looked glossy and pretty.

My mood was down just like my sisters. We had this connection where we often felt the same way. I was happy when she was happy and she got mad when I got mad which happened more than certain cats would like. My dreams were strange as well. I had no more visits from Swiftbreeze but I had plenty from Rowanheart.

The young ThunderClan tom was doing the same as usual but there was this awkward feeling between us. We never seemed to have anything to talk about and he tried to avoid eye contact with me a lot. I tried to confront him on the whole happening of ThunderClan knowing we were going to try to talk to their leader but he just shrugged and tried to change the subject which was pretty difficult due to the fact that we didn't have anything to talk about.

Flintpaw and I had become the friends we were before again. Something happened on the patrol that drew us back together again. I couldn't say the same about Stormpaw but then again, we had never been friends in the first place. 

I was reminiscing about the recent past when I was distracted by a sudden gust of wind almost sweeping me off my feet. I jolted back into reality and looked around. I had wandered mindlessly to the shoreline. I felt small drops of lake water splash on my cheeks and whiskers. I twitched them in order to flick off the droplets.

I turned my back on the body of water stretching beyond my line of sight and headed back towards camp. Roseshine and Sootheart would be disappointed in me for not catching anything but I couldn't seem to focus. Besides, I wasn't sent out to catch prey. I sort of snuck out on my own.

The walk back was uneventful. I passed by a border patrol consisting of Sunspot, Daisyshine and Sparktail. They nodded at me and continued on their way. That was probably the only interesting thing that happened.

I hopped down the slope that made up the edges of our camp. My paws landed in the clearing. Almost right away I felt myself something moving between my legs.

"Attack!" I heard someone shout.

Tiny little paws started whacking at my side. I looked down and saw a tiny ginger tom looking up at me. He was pushed aside by a gray tabby kit that tried to jump up and grab my neck.

I decided to play along and fell onto the ground, lightly crushing a kit or two. 

They giggled and shouted at their siblings. Flamekit pulled Splashkit out from under me but I grabbed him with my paws and tossed him in the air. He shrieked happily as he landed in a soft patch of grass.