Chapter 5

sorry i haven't updated in so long! i've been busy with Free Bird and school just started and i was sick so everythings pretty much hectic!  :/ but anyway enjoy! comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The she-cat looked down at me with her shimmering blue eyes.

I took in a sharp breath and closed my eyes. She couldn't be real. When I opened my eyes she would be gone and I could go back to looking for Snowpaw and Flintpaw.

I cracked my eye open just a tiny bit. She was still there. Her silver-and-black tabby fur shined like the stars that lit up Silverpelt. The she-cat didn't smile but she didn't frown. She just watched.

"Who are you?" I asked. My voice was small.

The she-cat tilted her head.

"Who are you?" I asked louder and stronger.

"I think you already know, little one." She mewed.

"I wouldn't ask if I knew the answer." I countered.

"My name is Swiftheart. I was a WindClan warrior just like you." Swiftheart explained. "I died when a ThunderClan cat clawed my neck making me bleed to death. You know my denmates though. Moonleaf and Sootheart."

My eyes widened. Those were the two cats who were at Swiftheart's side when she died. "I remember now."

Swiftheart nodded. "I'm here to tell you something, Lavenderpaw. You have a great destiny that you can share with no other cat. Your destiny is to protect. You can not do this on your own so I will give you the gift of fighting."

"Fighting?"

"You will be able to fight harder and longer then any of your clanmates but only when you need to protect your clan."

"Why me?"

"Because you need it the most."

Swiftheart disappeared after she spoke. Her words echoed in my head. 'Because you need it the most.'

Bushes rattled to my left. Snowpaw padded into the clearing. "Lavenderpaw!" She exclaimed in surprise.

My eyes were still wide from hearing what Swiftheart had told me.

"What's wrong?" Snowpaw asked.

"Nothing. I was just looking for you..." I replied.

Her tail flicked with disbelief. "C'mon, let's go back to the others."

I followed her white pelt through the bushes back to the grass clearing. Everyone turned to look at the two she-cats. Flintpaw was in the clearing too. He must have headed back after comforting Snowpaw. Dawnflash was watching over Flintpaw and Riverpaw while they practiced a fighting move. Redwind stood farther away from the two apprentices, but he still watched them.

Ottershine flicked her tail at me. I padded over to her.

"You can practice with Stormpaw instead." She mewed.

I looked at Stormpaw. He towered over me. His gray-and-white fur rippled with muscles he got from playfighting with Flintpaw. He was pretty much as tall as Flintpaw now, and just as intimidating.

I backed up and faced him. Ottershine was mewing to him about what to do. When he looked ready, Ottershine started heading in my direction but by then I was already in the air. All the moves I had to make were running through my head. I knew exactly what to do. And it felt great.

I landed hard on the ground where Stormpaw had been just seconds ago. I ducked just before his paw swiped at my face. I rolled straight into his tall body knocking him to the ground. He sprang up and leaped at me. Instead of going to the side, I backed up so I would be ready when he missed me. Just as planned, he landed a whisker in front of me. He was disoriented which gave me enough time to jump on his back. Stormpaw crumbled under my weight. I rested my paw on his neck and it was over. I had one

I got off Stormpaw, letting him get up. Then I turned around to see what the other cats were doing. They were all watching me. Flintpaw's tail was twitching with annoyance while Roseshine and Shadepaw were practically bursting with pride. Ottershine had a stern look on her face.

Riverpaw bounded over to me. "Wow!" He mewed. "You beat Stormpaw! And he's been practice fighting with Flintpaw and their father! You haven't even trained yet! Well except for that thing with Snowpaw but that wasn't the same and.."

"Riverpaw!" I laughed. "Stop talking. I get it!"

My denmate loved to talk but he was never offended when a cat told him to stop. He was almost as tall as me now and his tabby gray fur had lost its kitten fluff already. The toms green eyes shone as he looked up at me with admiration. I cuffed his ear and walked over to Ottershine.

"Did I do what I was supposed to?" I asked.

The light brown she-cat snorted and padded over to Stormpaw.

"I think you did perfectly." Roseshine's soft voice came from beside me. "Ottershine's just a little stubborn. She not happy that you took down her own apprentice but she'll get over it."

I sat down and my eyes flickered to a spot beside a tree where I thought I had seen a silver she-cat, but when I looked closer she was gone.

"That was really cool Lavenderpaw."

I turned my head and saw Flintpaw standing next to me. He was completly black except for the tips of his ears and the end of his fluffy tail which was. white.

"Sorry I beat your brother." I mewed.

"Don't be sorry, it was fun to watch him get taken down by a...."

The corners of my mouth raised into a smile. "A she-cat? Was that what you were going to say?"

"Maybe." He said as he walked over to his brother.

I looked back at the spot beside a tree and I could've sworn I saw the silver she-cat frowning.