Book 2: Chapter 5

What do I do now?
The question I had no answer to appeared in my thoughts.

I was tempted to turn around and run away, and keep running until I was a safe distance from this house and all of Marybrook. This place was tied to too many bad memories. My temptation was starting to transform into reality when I saw a face peeking out at me from an upstairs window. The face was full of curiosity which turned to realisation before it disappeared.

They knew I was here now so I figured I needed hurry up before they discovered  me hiding out here.

My stomach started to rip itself to shreds with anxiety as I approached the door. I gave a tiny timid knock, too small and soft to be heard by anyone, or so I thought. But then the door was flung open all too quickly for my liking. I had no time to worry about meeting my mother because she was in front of me.

She was right there, close enough for me to feel her body heat, close enough for me to recognise her familiar smell. Roses and pine needles.

She was exactly how I remembered her. A strong Roman nose, her prominent dimples, high cheekbones, a sprinkling of light freckles across her face, full dark red lips,dark long lashes that framed a pair warm hazel eyes that I see every time I look in the mirror and a mass of crazy dark curls that reached her waist which I also (sadly) inherited. Her face was still as fresh as untouched snow, she hasn't aged a day. She was wearing a long flowing jade skirt that brushed the ground and a pair of large golden earrings.

I opened my mouth to say something but before I could I was engulfed in a hug. I took in a sharp breath.

That was unexpected.

I was torn on whether to cling to her and never let go or to shove her away and make my lack of forgiveness clear from the very start.

"Oh honey I missed you, we have so much to catch up on," she said into my hair, squeezing me gently.

How could she be pretending everything is fine, like she hadn't left me for seven years. Anger shot through me and my uncertainty dissipated. I struggled in her tight hold and her grip disappeared.

I twisted out of her arms and put a few feet of distance between us. I crossed my arms over my chest defensively and glared into my mothers eyes.

Her eyes showed no surprise but her face told a different story. She faked confusion and laughed nervously.
"What's the matter sweetheart,"

I said nothing, still glaring, pushing all my hatred and frustration into my eyes.

She seemed to understand that her feigned emotions were getting her nowhere and her face became more serious.

"I'm so sor-"
"Just don't," I spat out coldly.
"Please just-"
"I said don't!" I cut her off again. She didn't deserve words to explain her actions.
"Ebony..."
"Where should I sleep?"
She let out a sad sigh.
"First door on the left." She whispered pointing to the stairs.
I gave a quick nod and followed her instructions. I climbed the narrow stairs, noting how the wood was worn smooth. The walls upstairs were painted a cream colour, the carpet was clean and the air smelled like oranges and soap. It was such a stark difference to my home. Grubby walls, filthy carpets and the ever present strong damp smell of liquor.
It was the type of smell that seeped into your skin and stayed in your subconscious.

I arrived at my door. The handle was recently polished. I opened the door to my new room.

It was small, but that was to be expected, no rooms in Marybrook were bigger than they needed to be. They were the size required to make the room functional, no more. My room was just big enough to fit a chest of drawers and a single bed. The room was plain, painted white and the floorboards were bare, similar to my old room. There was a shelf above my bed and a window, with no mould I noticed. Outside, was a forest of boring roofs, grey tiles glinting in the gentle light from the sunset. The night would soon be upon Marybrook and the worst day of my life was disappearing behind the horizon, sending out rays of golden light and casting shadows on the purple clouds. I would have appreciated the scenes beauty more if I was in a different situation.
I tore my eyes from the sunset and closed the cheap cotton curtains. I dumped my school bag on the bed and opened it.
I started to unpack my few possessions.
I had barely any clothes, most of my clothes were from the annual charity shop give away. I placed them in the chest of drawers. I took out other various belonging; some books, hair ties, nail polish, soap, hairbrush and shampoo.
I placed the items around the room, on the shelf and chest of drawers. I kicked off my shoes and shrugged off my hoodie. It almost seemed like my old room, almost, except I wasn't scared of making too much noise in case I wake up my father. Thinking of my father made me feel weird, a strange mix of emotions washed over me. I trailed my fingers along the jagged scar on my collarbone, something I often did when I was nervous.
Suddenly I heard a large bang. I opened my door and stuck my head out of the door only to see a little girl sitting in the hallway, her face half startled half excited. Her hands were raised slightly and her fingers were spread. She turned her head towards me but her hands stayed frozen in position.
"Hi!" She said eagerly.
I just stare at her.
"My name's Difillia!" She doesn't seem discouraged by my lack of speech.
"I heard that you're Tatianna's daughter! I'm so excited your here! Tatianna told me that you were coming and that you might be mad but you would come around and we can be one big family!"
"What?" I sputtered.
"I've always wanted a big sister," she continued. "I was sooo happy when Tatianna told me about you. What's your gift-"
"Dafillia!" Tatianna seemed to appear out of thin air.
"Anna! You won't believe what I just did! I-"
"Dafillia?" The girl stopped and dropped her arms.
"What?"
"Go downstairs to your father right now!"
"But-"
"Now!"
"No, stop!" I caught the girls arm.

Tatianna and the girl turned towards me.
"What did you mean 'what gift do I have?'"
Tatianna's face is frozen in a smile.
"Nothing," she said faintly.
"What?"
"She didn't mean anything, the poor child was confused," she said, and patted her on the head. The girl rolled her eyes and skipped down the steps.
"Bullsh*t,"
Tatianna's eyes narrowed and she took in a sharp breath.
"I don't know how you were raised in Jerry's house," I winced at my fathers name.
"But I will not stand for bad language and disrespect in this house. Look, I'm sorry I left you with him; I missed you everyday and I wish I could have taken you with me, but I couldn't and some day you will understand why,"

I stayed silent, not trusting myself to speak incase I let out the rage building up at the back of my throat.

"I just want to make amends with you, I want to introduce you to the others and I want us to be a family-"
"I never want to be a part of your family," I spat out each word with venom.
"And don't kid yourself that I'll ever forgive you because I won't,"

Tatianna looked shocked at the undiluted hatred in my voice. I savoured the sadness in her eyes. I walked back to my room and slammed the door, hard. The entire house seemed to shudder.

I ran my hands through my hair. This house was already hell. I paced around my room, or should I say my cage. What was the girl doing in the hall? What was the big sound? Why was Tatianna so nervous?

I was too tired to think of answers to these questions. Too tired to feel anymore sorry for myself. Too tired to do anything but collapse on to my newly acquired bed and crawl under the freshly washed sheets. I slipped into sleep before I could turn off the light.

Hey, I just want to let you all know how much I appreciate every single comment and vote. You guys are my inspiration for every chapter.

*internet embrace* (>o_o)>