Chapter 9

"I see you've worked in the food industry before, but have you ever had to serve alcohol or make mixed drinks?" Daddy asked the lady sitting in front of him.

I slowly reach for my baggy full of red grapes and try to make as little noise as possible since Daddy told me I couldn't make any noise during the interviews that took place in his office. Today, for a small field trip, Daddy took me to one of the small bars that he owns. Apparently the manager who was suppose to interview potential workers got really sick and no one could take their shift, so Daddy had to come up and do the job.

After a lot of pleading and begging Daddy let me come along, but I had to stay in his office with him unless he said otherwise. I've never been to a bar before, but I could tell this was a very nice, but simple one with quality food and drinks, televisions and pool tables. He ordered me a small portion of spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread for me to eat, since it was lunchtime, before the first interview started.

The woman who was currently being interviewed was Julia...something, I wasn't really paying attention since I was also looking over some documents Daddy wanted me to edit. She seemed to be around my age or maybe younger, nice personality with a pretty smile and a professional work ethic from how she held herself, but she looked shy and also a bit judgmental. Why do I think she's judgmental? Well when she came into Daddy's office she had an excited and dreamy look on her face, but once she saw me a look of disappointment etched on her face. Her expression grew more judgmental when she saw Daddy caress my cheek as he walked behind his desk.

I can only assume now she thinks I'm some kind of hussy having an affair with her boss and that Daddy is the type of man who will sleep with anyone and everyone. I could just be letting my overactive imagination run rampant, but from how she was looking at me and Daddy I'm sure I'm pretty spot on with my assumption of her.

I can't really blame her for her judgy stares. Daddy is a very big, handsome, and successful man who is about ten years my senior while I was a shortish, cutesy type of girl with only a high school education. Not a very likely pair to be in a hopefully long-term romantic relationship.

"Yes. I may not have official training, but I am familiar with making drinks for personal and occasionally professional use." Julia answered.

"Valentine." Daddy said suddenly.

"Yes, Sir?" I say, perking up.

"Could you ask Piero to bring in the drinks needed to make an Italian cocktail?"

I nodded enthusiastically and made my way out of the office and toward the kitchen. Piero looked up from the dishes he was cleaning and smiled at me. I smile back. Daddy introduced me to Piero when we first arrived at the bar. He was polite and had those typical "I'm a bartender so tell me your story" vibes.

He caught me by surprise when he kissed my hand. I giggled at his formal greeting, but I don't think Daddy appreciated that since he pulled me possessively to his side and made me wash my hands. I contained a laugh at the memory. Daddy was very silly.

He greeted me by calling me the 'Capo's princess'. I look at him confused. Why would he call me that? Was it some kind of inside joke or something? He just shrugged and asked me what I needed. I asked him for the items to make the cocktail Daddy mentioned and he helped me bring them back to the office.

When we entered the office the air seemed tense and somewhat stale. Daddy had a stern look on his face, his hands clasped on the desk while Julia sat before him completely still with her shoulders tense and her head bent down slightly. I wonder if he gave her a stern talking to. I gave him a curious look like how I gave Piero earlier, but he tilted his head toward my seat, nonverbally instructing me to sit down. Piero and I put the bottles on Daddy's desk and as the bartender leaves the room, I sit back at the small table.