Chapter 30 (Baby Talk)

"I still can't believe you decided to stay after all," Faith sighed, when she got out of bed the following morning. She had decided that she would stay with her friend for the night even though she was an unwelcomed guest to the host.

Kaylyn slightly shook her head. "I shouldn't have said I wanted to go in the first place," she exclaimed while pulling on a pair of roomy cotton pants.

    "He basically told you to leave the house," Faith exclaimed in disbelief.

Tying the knot to her pants, Kaylyn paused, taking a long glance at her friend. "Can you just please stop it. Even if I went home, I don't know how I would manage. I can't work now, so how could I even afford food and bills," she sighed heavily.

       "I could help you out," she said and Kaylyn snorted.

       "We both know you couldn't so just chill," she told her while pulling on a shirt that almost swallowed her entire form.

        "Mayhew is a douche. You don't need him in your life," Faith snided crisply.

          "He's trying to change," Kaylyn muttered softly, hanging her head.

Faith gawked at her. "Please tell me I heard you wrong," she exclaimed.

Kaylyn was silent, as she turned, looking for a clip to bound her hair. She also didn't want Faith to see the blush that was slowly creeping up to her cheeks.

Faith groaned loudly and Kaylyn spun around to see what was wrong. "What?" she asked a bit fearful.

       "You like him don't you?" she declared, curious for an answer.

Kaylyn pursed her lips and padded to the dressing table in search of that clip. Did she like Matthew? Well, she didn't hate him, so she guessed 'like' was the only explainable feeling. Her thoughts took her to the previous night, when Matthew had held her in his arms while she cried. Even though she felt so lost at the time, she had found comfort in the warmth of his embrace. She felt safe and secure in his strong arms and although the parting was immensely awkward, they both had managed a smile and Kaylyn had confirmed that she would stay.

She really saw that he was trying so she had to give him that. He wasn't so bad after all.

      "OMG! you really like him! Your face is the colour of beetroots right now," Faith's shrilling voice came and for a moment, Kaylyn had forgotten that she was being assessed by her friend.

     "Faith, how I feel doesn't really matter," she swallowed hard, trying to avert her gaze from that of her friend.

        "I can't believe you'd like someone like him," she blared in disbelief.

        "I can't believe you're pressing me about my feelings for Matthew. He is not my number one priority at the moment. My baby is," she snapped, getting frustrated with Faith.

      "But still-"

      "Just stop. Please," Kaylyn blurted harshly. "I can't believe that even though I called you here as a friend so we could talk about what I have been through, you have not once asked me about my well-being or my baby's. I needed a friend and right now... she trailed off, swallowing the hurtful lump in her throat. Right now I feel as though I have none," she completed shakily.

      "Kaylyn I-"

     "It's fine, she quickly cut in. I feel fine because I have a five year old here who would do anything to see me happy."

     "Kay, I'm sor-"

     "Kaylyn, breakfast is ready," Sapphire said, bursting through the door with a smile in place.