Chapter 16 (The call)

After talking to Faith that day, Kaylyn went back to Matthew's place. As soon as she was about to open the door to the house, her phone rang.

She placed it to her ear, answering. Hello, casually, since she was oblivious of whom it was.

"Hello, Miss Fisher, it's Jason Felix," came the reply, and Kaylyn felt her heart pick up its pace suddenly.

"Er- H-Hello," she couldn't resist the stutter. She wasn't expecting the call.

"Are you OK?" he asked after a moments pause.

"I'm fine. Thanks for asking," she said, moving away from the door and to a more private area; the garden.

"Not a problem..." he trailed off. "I'm just calling to confirm for Monday," he said, a bit hopefully.

Without hesitation, she answered a cheerful Yes! and then she cleared her throat. "Yes, I'll definitely be there," she replied in a more calmed tone.

He chuckled lightly. "OK then, good. Be here at eight," he exclaimed.

Kaylyn was grinning. "I'll be there. Thank you!"

"See you then," he concluded before hanging up the phone.

Kaylyn was over the moon. As soon as she started working, she would be out of this place, and back to her own life. She whispered a small thank you to the heavens before she moved in the direction of the house.

#

Upon hearing a car being parked outside, Matthew moved towards the window, curious to find out who it was. He thought it to be Kaylyn and he was right.

He watched as she stiffly moved towards the entrance, and he stood there, waiting for the door to burst open so he could lecture her on arriving so late. It was almost 7pm and he found it hard to believe that she would stay away so late, considering she left about three hours earlier. Why would she stay out so late, being pregnant!

He was angered by her carelessness, but he would soon find his answers in due time. Waiting, Matthew realized that the door didn't open and Kaylyn didn't enter, but instead, she had moved around the side, towards the garden with her phone at her ear.

Curiosity got the better of him, as always and so he found himself wandering to the other room, where he would see and probably hear what was going on.

He watched, and although she was speaking in a hushed tone, Matthew picked up a few words when excitement got the better of her, causing her voice to ring out.

"Yes!" he heard her squeal. "Yes, I'll definitely be there," she said, and he could see that she was trying to speak softer, but he was still able to hear due to the excitement in her voice.

He wondered where she would be and what for, but whatever it was he planned on finding out soon.

He moved to the door, when he saw that the phone call had ended. He stood, arms crossed, waiting for the door to open, and that it did.

Kaylyn gasped when she opened the door to find Matthew standing there, arms crossed like he was an angry father and she, the child who had arrived home late.

Snorting, she stepped past him, denying him the one thing she knew he wanted most...answers. She moved towards the stairs, but paused when he spoke.

"Well aren't you going to say anything?" he demanded from behind and Kaylyn couldn't resist smiling. She knew it was coming.

She turned to face him, after putting on a stern expression. "I told you I was going out. What else do you want to know?" she asked, cocking her brow.

"I want to know why you are coming here so late," he demanded crisply.

Kaylyn gawked at him. The man was truly unbelievable. "If you are going to have a problem with me going out, well you should just let me go back home then," she exclaimed in a suggestive manner.

Matthew snorted. "No way in hell."

"Then don't question me about my whereabouts next time and mind the business that pays you," she gave a stiff, mirthless smile before she padded off to her room.

"Wait?!" Matthew called out, and Kaylyn paused.

Turning around, she answered, "yes?"

"Who were you on the phone with?" he asked bluntly and Kaylyn huffed out a breath in disbelief, before rolling her eyes.

"Are you serious?" she spat, then stomped to her room, furious at Matthew for being so damn inquisitive.

As soon as she reached her room, she sat on the bed and dialled Faith's number.

'Hey, you OK?" Faith asked as soon as she answered.

Kaylyn smiled. "Yes, I'm great. I got the job!" she squealed.

"I know that. You told me, remember?" she said slowly, as if she was talking to mentally slow person.

Kaylyn giggled. "Yes, but I thought that, you know, after finding out that I'm carrying Matthew's child, he would lose interest or something," she shrugged.

"I told you, you didn't have to worry about that personal matter," she injected slowly. "The guy's not a douche like Mayhew," she completed matter-of-factly.

"Yeah, well now I know. Anyway, I'll talk to you later. I'm going to bed," she suddenly yawned.

"Aite, see you when I see you," she exclaimed before disconnecting the call.

Kaylyn sighed and plopped down on the bed, closing her eyes when the soft, cushiony surface of the bed came in contact with her tired form. Her mind wandered off to the way her life had been a few months ago. In a job that only paid enough to pay the bills and buy food; with a man who had the IQ of a fish... no offence to nemo intended.

She didn't know if her life now was better than before. She would now be in a job that would set her on her feet, financially, but she wasn't happy with her living situation.

The shrilling of her cell phone woke Kaylyn from the doze she had seemingly slipped into. She immediately bolted upwards, a bit frightened. Releasing a groan, she picked up her phone and her brows wrinkled when she gazed at the unknown caller ID.

Groggily, she answered, "Hello."

There was a short pause. "Kaylyn, it is your father, Patrick," came the firm, familiar voice, and Kaylyn froze at the spot she was in, dumbfounded.

____________________________________

A/N: What do you guys think the call will be about? Let me know in the comments!! :)

I hope you liked it...I'll update in a few days.

Until next time...
Laters baby
Xoxo
Juju